[Newbie] What are transfer punches used for and why would I need a whole set?

If you have the drill bit you don't need the transfer punch , Just drop the drill in the hole tap turn 90° tap again and X marks the spot. don't tap to hard or you will end up with a nasty blob.

Brian

You don't need a whole set, you only need one for each size drill bit you have. Why do you need :biggrin:a whole set of drill bits.

And maybe someone else drilled the hole. Case in point: I just mounted an old 3-jaw chuck on a new backplate (after cutting the "spigot" for alignment).
The mounting bolts were 3/8", but the holes took a 25/64" punch for the most accurate fit. So more punch choices = better alignment.

The reason I asked was that there is a used set of American punches on Ebay, and I was looking at them wondering if I would ever use them.

:tiphat:Nelson

Hey Nelson-----If you don't buy them you will not use them lol If the price is right get them you'll use them!!! Jack

Plumber is right on, I had none for years, got a set and use them often.

View attachment 34575

What are transfer punches good for in the home shop and why do I need a whole set like this?

Nelson

You need that many and some more. I use them for transfering holes from one plate to another. Just clamp the two plates together and fit the punch in the hole, tap it with a hammer and now you have the bottom hole layed out. Another thing i use them for is say i want a 3/8" tapped hole up against a shoulder i would lay a 3/8" punch or the next one bigger up against the shoulder and give it a wack. Now you can drill and tap your hole. I use them all the time for that type of work when i am designing something...Bob

One more use not listed here: I use them to mark locations of "bullet holes" in shafts that a bearing setscrew just won't stay tight in. The hole is drilled only deep enough to catch the cup point on the end of the setscrew. Works well.

I also use them to make a center hole in a round or even square bar that i want to drill a hole in. Say you have a 7/16" sq or round bar and you want a 1/8" hole right in the middle. So you would clamp your bar in a drill press vise and insert the 7/16" transfer punch right between the jaws and give it a tap. I also use mine when i make a custom pulley for the set screw hole in the middle of the vee groove. I have done it like this for 3 or 4 years...Bob

Why buy one when you can buy a set? They aren't that expensive and if you ever use one you will wonder how you got along without them. Besides,they look good on the shelf,like soldiers in formation.

Back