What are they for?

sundown57

Registered
Registered
I have an enco lathe with a cam lock chuck but there are 3 Allen cap screws also. without thinking i figured they locked the cams in place so i loosened them and then removed the chuck. Once off I realized they don't have anything to do with the cams. So I just tightened them back up. Does anyone know what they are for? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 46
If I can remember I will check my manual tomorrow when I am in the shop.

I'm not sure how "Cam Lock" chucks work, but do know that there are adjustment screws for equalizing the chuck mounting tension. That could be what you are dealing with. Also, I have some older machinery where setscrews must be removed for lubrication. What you pictured doesn't look like that, but you never know. . .

How about a lock feature for threading or turning in reverse?

I have a D1-6 camlock spindle, and it does not have any Allen cap screws. It just has 6 square, female spaces that accept the lathe chuck key.

Like this:

AE82BBA9-D79C-4771-9B07-3BCE5AAEC5CB.jpeg

I have a D1-4 chuck and mine has the allen screws also and no I don't know what they are for.
I was hoping someone could tell us.

Ray

Ditto on my D1-4 chuck. I have no idea what they are for so following along...

I actually took one out, It looks like a blind hole. makes no sense.

I’m not by mine now but don’t they hold the hold the cam locks. Kind of like a 3jaw scroll chuck keys.

I’m not by mine now but don’t they hold the hold the cam locks. Kind of like a 3jaw scroll chuck keys.
no, they don't. That's what I thought too but they don't line up with the cams and the bolts are long enough.

Back