What Are They Called

Garththomas

Registered
Registered
I am looking at these little dials on the control board that some wires from potentiometer are connected to.
They are black with a little arrow shaped slot in a white center that can be turned.

Need to see picture. Could be a few different things. I think it might be a potentiometer.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes trim pot thanks, my chuck would slowly start tuning as soon as I hit the switch so I was looking at the picture in my manual and although most of mine matched the picture a couple were different so I adjusted one and low and behold my chuck stopped turning before I turned up the potentiometer.

I think the pot marked ir is for torque and the min and max seem self explanatory but what about the pot marked cl and should my motor turn as fast in reverse as it does in forward

CL means "current limit, do not touch unless you know what you're doing to the extent that you know that the result of your adjustment won't damage the motor. "

IR means "black magic, do not touch, and I don't care who you are or what you think you know."

If you think someone has fiddled with IR, turn it all the way down, and then back up a very tiny amount, like 2 degrees.

If you think someone has filled with CL, turn it to half way and leave it there unless your motor starts stalling prematurely.

Your symptoms sound like some nightshift hero with a tweaker screwdriver has given your IR pot a bit of love.

I'm guessing you're looking at a KB drive, but even if not, the manual below should help. The terms and adjustments are pretty universal across MFGs

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggmMAI&usg=AFQjCNGBFFsBPjIUlnmwU2YZ3ugNnedxPQ

P.S. IR does not mean torque. It stands for " current(I)...Resistance " and it's an adjustment that very few people understand. It has to do with speed regulation with varying loads, and it's a very fickle adjustment. Getting it dialed in just right is a nightmare. As the manual says, it comes preadjusted from the factory and you should not be touching it unless you know for a fact that someone else has already screwed it up and you have nothing to lose.

Oh, and yeah, your motor should spin equal speed in both directions usually. Unless it's a motor optimized for running one direction only ( with brushes angled). Possible bad adjustments in drive could be the culprit too. What model drive is it? Can you post P/N and a pic of the board with the pots?

Use this in some of the Grizzly lathes. As mentioned, trim pots are used to adjust different control functions and motor parameters. There is a plug in resistor for the motor sizing. This looks the same as the KBC version, I would review the following manual which describes the functions and location of the trim pots. Probably changed the motor current trim pot, there is a red indicator CL if it is tripped. Hopefully didn't pop a fuse or something else. The MAX and Min set the speed range.
http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals/kbic_manual.pdf

Back