What are these lathes and where can I get some parts?

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
I aquired these lathes a few days ago but one is missing the cross slide. It says Sears and Roebuck on the end. Well, we all know Sears isn’t going to have any parts for these old lathes. So, does anyone , here, know who made these little mini lathes? Can anyone tell me anything about them? Any good? What they are worth? Parts? Accessories ? Any help appreciated! Bones

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 70
Hope this helps...

Those are commonly known as Craftsman 109 lathes, after the model number which starts with 109. A different lathe than the similar sized 6" lathes made by Atlas which had model numbers starting with 101.

These were made from the late 1930s until the 1950s, and there are a variety of different model numbers. Sold by Sears under the Dunlap brand and then later Craftsman. They also came in two lengths 12" between centers and 18" between centers. They are very light duty and simple lathes, but they have a fan base and are pretty common whole or being parted out on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook etc.

I can see they have the ridged headstock, so if they have Craftsman badges then they would be WW2 vintage. In the late 1940s they changed the headstock to a cast housing with a piece of engine turned aluminum or stainless steel for decoration.

There is probably pretty decent parts interchange over the years / models, but there are also some parts which are unique to certain years / models. The headstock is one area where there were fairly significant changes.

You can find more info on these here.

Dunlap / Craftsman 109

They are not made by Atlas, and have no relationship to the 6" Atlas lathes which were much better made. They can however use the change gears from a 6" Atlas.

Those are commonly known as Craftsman 109 lathes, after the model number which starts with 109. A different lathe than the similar sized 6" lathes made by Atlas which had model numbers starting with 101.

These were made from the late 1930s until the 1950s, and there are a variety of different model numbers. Sold by Sears under the Dunlap brand and then later Craftsman. They also came in two lengths 12" between centers and 18" between centers. They are very light duty and simple lathes, but they have a fan base and are pretty common whole or being parted out on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook etc.

I can see they have the ridged headstock, so if they have Craftsman badges then they would be WW2 vintage. In the late 1940s they changed the headstock to a cast housing with a piece of engine turned aluminum or stainless steel for decoration.

There is probably pretty decent parts interchange over the years / models, but there are also some parts which are unique to certain years / models. The headstock is one area where there were fairly significant changes.

You can find more info on these here.

Dunlap / Craftsman 109

They are not made by Atlas, and have no relationship to the 6" Atlas lathes which were much better made. They can however use the change gears from a 6" Atlas.
Wow! I went to ebay, those little rascals are expensive! They want a fortune for parts! I guess I will just be happy with one and keep the other for parts!

Bones

Wow! I went to ebay, those little rascals are expensive! They want a fortune for parts! I guess I will just be happy with one and keep the other for parts!

Bones

I have seen them sell for prices I think are crazy for what they are, but like I said there is a fan base for these. Sears sold a ton of these though so if you keep your eyes open, you can occasionally find them at reasonable prices.

Small lathes like these that are fairly easy to ship tend to sell for a lot more on ebay then you find when sold local. Ebay also has a lot of people who buy machines to flip as parts and again their prices tend to be higher than the people who just have a busted machine they are parting out.

The headstock on these is where they fumbled the design, IMO. The spindle is thin and bends easily, and there is a rinky-dink
planetary gear thing that won't last- made of soft alloy bits and pieces.
The 109 machines are way overpriced also for what they are. The Atlas machines are much better.

The headstock on these is where they fumbled the design, IMO. The spindle is thin and bends easily, and there is a rinky-dink
planetary gear thing that won't last- made of soft alloy bits and pieces.
The 109 machines are way overpriced also for what they are. The Atlas machines are much better.
I have an Atlas machine at the ranch shop, or most of one! And I had one in my Fire Dept Shop forv 33+ years. I used it all the time. I know there is no comparison between it and these. I found these so cheap I just had to buy them , I guess I will just keep the one with out the cross slide for parts for the complete one. But if I run across a slide , cheap enough, I will complete the second one!

Bones

Back