What are these items?

DMO

Active User
Registered
I have posted some photos to my album by the same name: "What are these items?", and I was hoping someone here might recognize them. there are two things; one is a set of some sort, and the other is a bearing mounted roller assembly that can apparently be clamped onto something about 3/16" dia. I've guessed that the roller is for grinding a bevel on the tip of something, but I really don't know, and I don't know its origin. The "boss" set that looks like part drive coupling and part dappling punch, could have been made by my deceased friend. I have no clue. Does any of these seem familiar to anyone?
Dave
View attachment 33410View attachment 33411

Last edited:
what are these?

I have posted some photos to my album by the same name: "What are these items?", and I was hoping someone here might recognize them. there are two things; one is a set of some sort, and the other is a bearing mounted roller assembly that can apparently be clamped onto something about 3/16" dia. I've guessed that the roller is for grinding a bevel on the tip of something, but I really don't know, and I don't know its origin. ...
Dave
View attachment 33410

I found out that this rolling-clamp jig-like thing is indeed a sharpening guide for small stuff like jewelwer's screwdriver tips. I've included a picture of a Burgeon brand sharpening setup using one very similar.
Dave

Yep, the Lovejoy-coupling-looking thing is apparently a complete set for something. (There are more views in my album.) I really can't see how it has anything to do with a Lovejoy coupling though, because there's seems to be too much missing to interface with one, and there's too much extra (special) stuff to be related to a coupling. It does however seem to be about alignment of some sort, and in my opinion, it just resembles part of a coupling, which makes people think of it that way. But I note again that whatever it is, it seems to be all there as a set. As for mounting to some shaft for alignment, there's nothing there to do that, and the coarse threads sticking out the back of one of the pieces seems way too crude to justify the level of precision implied in the rest of the design.
'Sall I got. Dave

Last edited:
Interesting thought Bill, but there is no way provided to lock it down or otherwise fix its position, and there's not much sideways movement allowed either. It's relatively small too. I didn't mention before, that the fitted block in the picture has a plexiglass cover that fits over the whole set, which seems to imply to me that all the pieces are there for something. An even stronger clue might be that in that context, since the hex key is stored along with it, as insignificant as a hex key could be, there most likely are not any greater significant parts missing. Furthermore, it implies that something in its use required routine adjustment or wrench-tight assembly, and that the entire affair was a temporary setup, as in a measurement aid.
Dave

Dave,
I'm thinking that you are missing a piece that fits down in between those 3 legs, and is secured there with a hex key fastener into the "crude" thread. Maybe those 3 balls are used for indexing the missing part. Are they spring loaded?
Does the piece in the back left corner fit neatly down in between the 3 legs?
What, if anything is on the bottom, (top?) of the mushroom?

Cheers Phil

The mystery continues, can you assemble it as you think it should be and show us more pictures? You've got us all hooked now:thinking:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/album.php?albumid=54

I'm attempting to post a link to my album which shows more views of each piece. Hope it works. I can certainly take more photos if it would help. Just check out the views of each piece in the (larger) set, and know that the smaller set is identical in design, using the same 5/16"-18 threads as the larger. I guess the smaller set would be the 1/2", and the larger set would be the 1". The photo showing the three pieces stacked together was just a guess on my part, I don't really know that they work that way.

To answer 12bolts' question, the (3) 3/8' balls are staked in. The (3) 3/16" balls sit perfectly into a ball-milled pocket which allows no movement. It seems clear that they are not intended to move, but are there to provide a firm 3-point resting/indexing surface.

I'm uploading a photo including a smaller identical set. The single free ball in this set is 1/2". (I think there is only supposed to be one free ball per set.)
Dave
View attachment 33838

To answer 12bolts' other question; the other end of the 'mushroom' piece has the socket-end of a 5/16"-18 setscrew sticking out about 5/16". The post-end is 7/8" diameter, with a shallow concave radius of about 13/32" which cradles the 1" ball securely out at the edge (if that is what it is supposed to do). The ball fits neatly down between the fingers with a few thousandths clearance. The 1" ball can rest onto the (3) 3/16" balls without touching the surface.

The socket-end of the 5/16" setscrew is (currently) sunk about 5/16" below the ball at that point, while to tip (other end) of the setscrew is recessed about the same at the other side of the 'boss'. So that's about a 7/8" long setscrew. One clue is that the wood block is drilled to accept the (3) 3/8" balls embedded into the back of the boss, AND the center is drilled almost a half inch deeper to allow protrusion of the setscrew. So it seems that the stud-end of the screw normally sticks out, and it suggests that it might be for an adjustment instead of just a stud.
Dave

The "lovejoy coupling"-looking sets are probably some sort of important tool, and they may have something to do with a lovejoy coupling, but none of the parts are capable of fitting onto a shaft (and I can't think of any more details to add to the descriptions). Maybe my friend invented these things, and nobody knows what they are. He was very clever when it came to fixturing and setting machinery. He spent plenty of years around millwrights and toolmaking environments. I keep thinking if I figure it out, I might be glad to have them, but so far, I can't imagine how or why they would have to be used. I was looking for a contact at the Lovejoy company, but haven't found one yet.
Dave

Back