What are these B&S things?

JRaut

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Alright, brainiacs.

Any ideas?

Each of the leaves is marked Brown and Sharpe with some sort of dimensions. Some of the leaves say "D + F = x.xxxx", but some only have the dimension. Each identifies a "dia. pitch" (presumably Diametral Pitch) as well; leaves range from about 4 to about 14.

It's obvious gear related because of the reference to diametral pitch. But I can't figger it out beyond that. I can't find anything quite like it while googling around. These ought to have been in some B&S catalog once upon a time, but I haven't gone that far in my search yet.

IMG_8643.JPG IMG_8642.JPG

I’m curious to hear what others have to say on this.

The patterns do not follow an ascending or descending logic with the “Diam P”, so my guess is these were pitch gages modified for some other use that we will always be unaware of.

Did you get them in a tool chest buy or auction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I found something......

I had a PDF copy of the Brown and Sharpe book "Practical Treatise on Gearing" so started flipping thru.

Here's what I see:
ScreenShot136.jpg

So it appears to be a gear tooth depth gauge.
However, interestingly, they appear to be marking the depth of cut on the cutter itself, NOT the gear blank.....

I tried uploading the file, but at ~10.4MB it was too large.
I'll see if I can find a link to an online version......

-brino

I got them in a box of misc. odds and ends at a machinery auction.

Great find @brino! Hard for me to tell what they're actually marking from the screenshot. Is that the cutter? The profile of a normal cutter wouldn't be shaped like that... Nor would the gear blank.

Anyway, I did a little bit of digging through the old B&S catalogs on VintageMachinery.org and found this in the 1916 version. They're nowhere to be found in the catalogs from the '50s.

1607955344541.png

I'll probably clean'em up and toss'em up on eBay. Certainly has got to be someone out there interested in completing their B&S collection.

Well now it's all coming together. Thanks for putting the pieces together @benmychree!

Did you pay more than $0.25 each Jeff, because if you did, according to the 1916 you got screwed. LOL

Did you pay more than $0.25 each Jeff, because if you did, according to the 1916 you got screwed. LOL
Ha, got the whole box with a bunch of other 'vintage' goodies for almost nothing. So I think it qualified as "You Suck" pricing, even according to the 1916 dollar!

But to get philosophical: is a good deal on something you never use actually a good deal?

Back