What are the risks of an electrical setup like this.

This has been a good read.

I will have to double check my fab trailer wiring.

I know all my 120 outlets are wired with neutral and ground (insulated) . But my 240 is not, and I have also tied into the 240 legs for my mill DRO and one power feed inside the mill elec. enclosure.

The trailer feed is 4 wire, my genset hookup is 4, but I can not remember the power drop at one jobsite. IIRC That one is 3 wire to a separate panel w/ a 50a breaker, then info the trailer panel....I think. I know now I need to get a ground rod put in when I set it up for sure.

I am going to take my DMM and do some sanity checks with equipment running from machine frame to ground, Neutral, conduit and enclosures.

Our batch plant had a mild short to frame in one of the 100hp 480 motors, and we had 93v from the stair handrail to the mud puddle 130ft away. That was fun. Plant has 12 ground rods and still a little tickle at the stairs.

Last edited:
This has been a good read.

I will have to double check my fab trailer wiring.

I know all my 120 outlets are wired with neutral and ground (insulated) . But my 240 is not, and I have also tied into the 240 legs for my mill DRO and one power feed inside the mill elec. enclosure.

The trailer feed is 4 wire, my genset hookup is 4, but I can not remember the power drop at one jobsite. IIRC That one is 3 wire to a separate panel w/ a 50a breaker, then info the trailer panel....I think. I know now I need to get a ground rod put in when I set it up for sure.

I am going to take my DMM and do some sanity checks with equipment running from machine frame to ground, Neutral, conduit and enclosures.

Our batch plant had a mild short to frame in one of the 100hp 480 motors, and we had 93v from the stair handrail to the mud puddle 130ft away. That was fun. Plant has 12 ground rods and still a little tickle at the stairs.
What do you do for a living Sticks?

A little bit of everything.

I am by title a field service tech for a concrete paving company whose duties include repair and maintenance of all company equipment from a 1" gas trash pump to the 40' concrete slipform paver with dowel bar iserter to the 12yd, dual drum concrete batch plants.

Mechanical, electrical (480 vac genset supplied & 12&24vdc), hydraulic, combustion engines, followed by custom fabrication of "What if we did this." ideas, and "Can you make this? OEM is backordered 6 weeks and we need it yesterday." And my favorite, "I don't know how it broke. It was like that when I came in."

Got good at building a lot of stuff to within .005 on the bumper of my truck with nothing more than a mag drill, plasma cutter, angle grinder, flux mig welder, and proper measuring tools.

I was given a 53' retired moving trailer to wire and set up for my CNC plasma table, PM-940M, Smithy Granite 1324 (don't judge), and assorted smaller power tools as a fab shop.

20230814_072246.jpg20230814_072211.jpg

Last edited:
A little bit of everything.

I am by title a field service tech for a concrete paving company whose duties include repair and maintenance of all company equipment from a 1" gas trash pump to the 40' concrete slipform paver with dowel bar iserter to the 12yd, dual drum concrete batch plants.

Mechanical, electrical (480 vac genset supplied & 12&24vdc), hydraulic, combustion engines, followed by custom fabrication of "What if we did this." ideas, and "Can you make this? OEM is backordered 6 weeks and we need it yesterday." And my favorite, "I don't know how it broke. It was like that when I came in."

Got good at building a lot of stuff to within .005 on the bumper of my truck with nothing more than a mag drill, plasma cutter, angle grinder, flux mig welder, and proper measuring tools.
Awesome, that is what I suspected. We have guys like you in the offshore Oil and Gas industries..... I always like talking to them because they are usually the ones who get me out of my chair and on a helicopter....

Awesome, that is what I suspected. We have guys like you in the offshore Oil and Gas industries..... I always like talking to them because they are usually the ones who get me out of my chair and on a helicopter....
Was that a shot?

Was that a shot?
Uhhh... if by shot you mean insult or sarcasm? Not at all, I work to help those guys solve problems with their systems and generally get solid input from them on what they need. Ships Engineers, drilling leads, barge engineers, tool pushers, all are that type person. And by the way just because the title has the word engineer doesn't mean they are engineers, its the title of the position.

I have an office, actually a cube where I work when in the office, been drafting and design for decades, when I say gets me out of my chair and on a helicopter I mean I am traveling to a rig offshore.

Ahhh. Ok.

I like engineers and designers who get in the field to see what works and what should have a person put up against a wall and shot for.

Have had to deal with many who have no clue about the maintenance of a thing. They put it there because it fit.

Ahhh. Ok.

I like engineers and designers who get in the field to see what works and what should have a person put up against a wall and shot for.

Have had to deal with many who have no clue about the maintenance of a thing. They put it there because it fit.
I travel out to the rigs, talk to the guys that will be operating the thing, scan the affected areas go back to the office stitch the point cloud together then model the required areas and make the changes so they work.

Back