What adhesive for bonding aluminum to stainless steel?

You have a good point on the environment, Toolholder. Good thing that you are making this thing for someone in Oklahoma and not California, otherwise it may cause cancer.
Mark

Just as JGedde mentioned, I think JB Weld is goof stuff.

I've used it very successfully on stainless to aluminum as well as other combinations of metals. It's dielectric when cured, so there is not going to be any electrolytic corrosion.

The transfer case on my truck is magnesium, or so I was told. It got the famous GM pump rub hole. I JB'd it about 5 years ago. It stays bathed in oil & gets hot. No problems yet. The rocker panels I replaced on my truck are held with JB weld (The body panel adhesive that the grown ups use sets too fast for my lousy alignment skills.)
Oh yeah... I JB welded the top part of an e-cig battery to the body. No twist off yet. (Aluminum to pot metal I think)

One caution about JB- The manufacturer says not to use alcohol as a prep wipe. I don't know why it is a problem, but thought I'd mention it.
I use acetone or xylene (and respirator) if outdoors. Citrus shampoo & water if indoors.

Sounds like you're making a fun project!

I used to work at an aircraft maintenance depot, they used a 3M structural adhesive called "DP-100". Get yourself some of that, McMaster Carr sells it. We set up a lap joint on 6061 aluminum with it... the metal tore, the glue joint did not fail. It's good stuff, not too pricey, and will probably do what you want it to do. If the FAA says it's good enough for airplanes... ;)

Back