What about Shars Tools?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Anyone know anything about Shars tools?
If you are looking for a lathe chuck or dividing head, forget about it.
Some of the more popular items on this forum has been their lathe chucks, especially the 6 jaw.
Discontinued and back ordered.

I just ordered a 6" digital caliper and 2" dial indicator and I got it in a few days. I guess it depends on what you order.

Anything? I know that I've been happy with everything I bought from them. And I would rate their shipping as top notch. I know I hate the colors of paint they use on their milling vises and it has actually kept me from buying one.

I've been happy with their products and service.
When I ordered my CBN wheels for the surface grinder most sizes were on back order. The tooling seems to be aplenty.
Strange.

It has been a minute since I ordered anything from Shars. But everything I did order I have been happy with.

I've ordered a lot from Shars. Not the highest quality but a good price/quality point for most stuff.
Recently they do seem to be discontinued or backordered on a lot of stuff, almost like they're not restocking. Shipping issues? Tariffs? Not sure ...

I have a good amount of Shars stuff. Everything is of good quality or I wouldn't keep buying. 1" digital mic and 6" digital calipers are my go-to measuring devices all day long. When in comes to press fits in .001 or tighter then I use Starrett and gauge blocks, Almost all Shars comes to NC in 3-4 days. no matter how shipped.

General Shipping update. I keep track of shipping, Covid and political stuff for my the place where my wife works. They get chair parts from China and Taiwan, leather from Italy, Brazil, Argentina, etc. The deep freeze in Texas nearly killed us. The chair parts guy last week informed us that a shipping container was $5000, last year. It is now $17000 now and as of now can not tell us when his inventory will arrive. It used to be 2 months or less and 1 week from him to us. No order date at all and he is tying to work out with his customers on how to add additional costs.

The only thing negative I have to say about Shars is their shipping is on the expensive side compared to most other vendors I've used. I haven't bought a lot from them, but no complaints on anything I have received.

For CBN wheels I went with Woodturners wonders.

It won't help with out-of-stock items, but quite often you can purchase from them on ebay (discount_machine is Shars) for less than buying the same tool on the Shars web site.

Back