Whar are these micrometers used for

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
What are these micrometers used for

Look like a conventional 0-1" micrometer but both contact surfaces come to a point.
While not an exhaustive search a search was made with out any real answers.
The closest was a crimp height micrometer but the included angle of the twp points were higher.

Thanks

Look like a conventional 0-1" micrometer but both contact surfaces come to a point.
While not an exhaustive search a search was made with out any real answers.
The closest was a crimp height micrometer but the included angle of the twp points were higher.

Thanks

Sounds like you have a thread mic.

Thread mic's have a male and female contact that I've seen.

EDIT:
You could be right, just tried it and the angle is 60°
But measurement would sure be tricky and prone to error it seems.

A picture and brand name ,model number would go a long way in the answer to your question.
micrometers 004.jpgmicrometers 003.jpg
They come in all shapes and sizes for a specific app.
***********Just Saying****************************G*********:bash:

micrometers 004.jpg micrometers 003.jpg

Your pictures didn't help much.

Just did not see any need to take time to take and post a picture when everyone here has seen a 0-1" micrometer and stating that both contact surfaces come to a point seem clear enough, guess some people need a picture drawn, just saying...........

There is no model number on it but the manufacturer is J.T. Slocomb

Ken

Sounds like it's for measuring sheet stock. I have one. I'll dig mine out and let you compare.

"Billy G"

Mitutoyo - Point Micrometers - Series 112

31nKjlfutTL.jpg

Details

Features:
IP65 water/dust protection (Series 342)
Pointed spindle and anvil for measuring the web thickness of drills, small grooves, keyways, and other hard-to-reach dimensions.
15 degree and 30 degree measuring points are available.
The measuring points (carbide-tipped) have approximately 0.3mm/.012" radius.
With Ratchet Stop for constant force.
With SPC output (Series 342).
With digial counter (Series 142).
With a standard bar except 0-25mm and 0-1" model.
Supplied in fitted plastic case.
Function:
Origin-set, Zero-setting, Data hold, inch/mm conversion(inch/mm models)
Alarm: Low voltage, counting value composition error"

A couple of things about using a 60° angle point mic for threads is that you need to know that you have a root radius or flat in a thread, and the helix angle of the thread is in play, and the thread angle is symmetrical about a constructed line perpendicular to the thread axis, so the points cannot contact the flanks of the threads equally. They may be of some use in measuring threads in a comparator method, where you have a known good thread to measure and "compare" the readings. But they are more designed simply for measuring things in narrow spaces, like splines, etc.

True thread micrometers have a vee anvil, not a point. I have a set of thread triangles that sub for a thread mic, in a way. The difference is that they do slide sideways and compensate for the thread helix. Still, the other factors I mentioned enter the realistic use.

Back