Wells-Index 860C "Universal" mill w/pics and questions

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
It was suggested that I open a new thread on this mill as now I actually have it in my possession and the old thread(s) have drifted from the original intent.

Here it is in all it's glory...

Think I should have used a tarp for the 800+ mile drive home.

I spent about an hour today cleaning the "bug goo" off.

As you can see it's still on the trailer. I figure that in order to get it in to my garage/shop I'm going to have to remove the vertical head, figured I might as well remove it before trying to unload the mill. In preparation for this I removed this doohickey and it's paraphernalia. It would be great if someone could tell me exactly what it is and how it operates. Here is a close-up of the unit on the vertical head...

It's lines went down to this switch...

Then there was an oil line from the switch back to this unit...

So much for the side show. Now for the serious question(s). I figure that the best way to move this thing (feel free to correct me here), once I have it on the ground, will be to place it on a pallet jack. Now, should I just set it on a pallet? Where do I find a pallet that will withstand the close to 2 tons concentrated on certain areas and not spread evenly or do I need to make my own? Is there a certain pallet "design" to handle this properly? I can't believe that the standard crappy pallets I see every day are up to the task.

Any suggestions on how to properly rig the vertical head to safely pull it off of there? It's an awkward hunk of metal and I can't quite get my head around where the center of gravity might be. I'd be really unhappy if I unbolted it and it did a half-gainer out of it's sling into my waiting embrace. :p

Now, tooling. Here is a shot of most of what came with the mill.

By looking at it can someone tell me if it's R8, 30, 40, or what? I haven't had the time to take a close look at it all yet and it may be self evident (written on there somewhere) but it didn't jump out at me.

I had to stop working on it today when it came down to loosening up the nuts holding the head in place. Turns out I needed a 15/16" open/box end wrench to reach the nuts and didn't have one. :eek: Quick trip to Ace Hardware and I'm back in business for tomorrow.

Thanks guys,

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
that is nice it doesnt look repainted it looks like new
where did you find it?
there was a wells index factory cnc by me on craigs list with new upgraded servo motors controllers and mach3 for 7000 i wanted it so bad but my floor would not hold it.
steve

Ron, I'm jealous. I still have to arrange for a truck or trailer and some way to get the Victoria off it when I get it home. Nice mill.

Hi Ron
Nice score on the mill

I have to ask, why do you feel you must dissmantle the top end to get it off the trailer? I would leave that puppy assembled, and either call in a wrecker to lift it up while you drive the trailer out. If by chance your mill is that tall, you can probably rent an gantry crane to get it up in the air. There has to be a away to get that mill on the ground without taking it apart. I had a slight problem with my 7 ft tall Induma mill when I tried to put it in my one car garage and tilted the head 90 degree,s and it cleared fine.

The other question about what tooling you have. Looks like R-8 you showing in the pics.

The next thing your thinking about is a pallet to set the mill on. Most of the skids you see are not suited for putting your mill on. Then I would have to wonder why, you would want to? They will collect swarf under them, and are a royal pain to work around. I did it for a week once. Thinking hey, I can easly move the mill with a pump truck,lol. First problem was the corners of the skid. I was constantly tripping over the corners sticking out.
The swarf that gets under it, wont help you with your pallet jack wheels either.

All I can tell you is think it over before dropping your mill on a pallet/skid. As mentioned above,are only a few things. Have you ever tried to get a mill off a skid? Thats another royal Pain in the a$$. Really, I would just use some solid round stock, Ive used 3/8 and 1/2 od in the past with good results. Some guys like using larger OD tube, or pipe, but that puts the machine up higher off the floor. I like the machine as close to the ground as possible. Just use a pinch bar to roll it to its resting place, and use the bar to lift the base just enough to get the round stock that you used for rollers. Pallet trucks are even more of a pain, once your finished using it, then it takes up to much space to store it.

Looking at the pics
You could remove the power drawbar 4 bolts, and remove the motor. That should take the height down a fair bit.

Good Luck

You can probably rig up some kind of screw jack to work in those pockets at the bottom of the mill to lift it enough to put small dia. rods under it to roll it into place once you have it in the garage. I agree with Paul on the wrecker lifting it up and drive out from under it then nod the head and have him get as much of it as he can in the garage. It probably has threaded holes somewhere in the top for eye bolts for lifting it also. If not sling it really good with a strap.

Good luck

That "Doohickey" is your power draw bar, that machine is way beyond massive it's gigantuous

Bonus! I've never seen one before but I recognize what that means. I was kind of wondering how to get that collet out of the spindle... :thinking: Thanks.

that is nice it doesnt look repainted it looks like new
where did you find it?
there was a wells index factory cnc by me on craigs list with new upgraded servo motors controllers and mach3 for 7000 i wanted it so bad but my floor would not hold it.
steve

I found it on e-bay of all places posted by Vanderziel Machinery up in Alto, MI.

Ron, I'm jealous. I still have to arrange for a truck or trailer and some way to get the Victoria off it when I get it home. Nice mill.

I may end up calling for a boom truck or seeing if the garage next door has a suitable wrecker. I need to decide exactly how I'm going to handle it once it's on the ground first.

I have to ask, why do you feel you must dissmantle the top end to get it off the trailer? I would leave that puppy assembled, and either call in a wrecker to lift it up while you drive the trailer out. If by chance your mill is that tall, you can probably rent an gantry crane to get it up in the air. There has to be a away to get that mill on the ground without taking it apart. I had a slight problem with my 7 ft tall Induma mill when I tried to put it in my one car garage and tilted the head 90 degree,s and it cleared fine.

The next thing your thinking about is a pallet to set the mill on. Most of the skids you see are not suited for putting your mill on. Then I would have to wonder why, you would want to? They will collect swarf under them, and are a royal pain to work around. I did it for a week once. Thinking hey, I can easly move the mill with a pump truck,lol. First problem was the corners of the skid. I was constantly tripping over the corners sticking out.
The swarf that gets under it, wont help you with your pallet jack wheels either.

The problem I have is that the garage door it needs to go through is very low, about 6'6". I'm not sure that even with the head at 45 degrees it will fit inside. I was planning to measure things before I actually pulled the head to see if it's possible. Now that I've got the right size of wrench I'll be able to find out. I did already pull the power draw bar as it seems a bit "delicate". I don't want to pull the head but I may have to.

As for the pallet jack, I hadn't planned on keeping it on the pallet (Yeah, I know how much trouble it is getting something off of one.) My problem here is that the space this is going in to is very "tight", shall we say. The best way to set it up is against the far back wall facing the center. The space itself is a single car garage, the kind you see at apartments so there is no extra room. I may have to put the mill in a stall a couple of doors down until I can move everything out of the way, my 16" shaper, LeBlond grinder, drill press, lathe, etc. For that little maneuver I will have to navigate it through a parking lot with rough asphalt and a significant grade. Plus there is a "lip" where the asphalt meets the concrete slab in the garage. For this kind of stuff the "pipe method" leaves a lot to be desired so I am trying to find an alternative.

Oh, and no threaded holes for lifting rings that I could see. For whatever that is worth. They would sure come in handy. :thinking:

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing fired up but as you can see I've got a ways to go before I'm ready to plug it in. I was a little disappointed that the horizontal "bar"/steady was not included but I hope to get those from Wells-Index. Hey, a guys got to have all the attachments to get the full use out of his machines. Just think, where would Frankenstein's monster be without his boots and neck electrodes? ;) :biggrin:

Thanks all. If I didn't directly respond to a question, hopefully I included the answer somewhere in my "stream of consciousness". :biggrin:

-Ron

Ron
Even if it had a place for a eye bolt, I would still sling it with straps, or heavy rope. You could even use chain with moving pads and wood to protect the machine. The step from the driveway to the concrete is allways a bit of a pain. Any time I have run into this step problem, and it seems like ever time, and with a grade some times, here is a few things Ive found work pretty well.

You no doubt have other machines in the shop. Anchor a chain to one of them, with a chain fall, or come along. Its good insurance from the machine wanting to get away on ya. The step, isnt really a big deal. Pick up a piece of 1/8 or 3/16 plate and use that at the step. Usually the step is only 1 inch give or take a bit. The use of heavy pinch bars would be your friend here. I would get the back of the mill facing the shop, with the mills base at the edge of the step. With one guy on each side, put the bar in under the base towards the rear half, push down, and swing the bars at the same time, and get the rear part of the base on the step of the concrete, A third helper with a bar in the front would keep the machine from sliding on you, or back to the come along.

If you have big enough bars, shifting that mill is easy, you say 2800 lbs. Thats heavy, but ive moved lots of heavy, and heavyer equipment. If you really need to remove the head, well ya do it if you must. Looking at the pics, I cant tell if that head will turn 90 degree,s to give you clearance, if it would , you should be good to go. Any time I have had to move a mill up a step such as your going to do, I would have 3 other helpers. one on each side, one on the front, and one in the back keeping the chain fall snugged up.The rent all will have the big bars you,ll need too.

All good advice Paul, I'll take it to heart. The one thing that makes me do things a bit "differently" is that I have no help, pretty much have to handle anything I do solo. It's all still doable, I just have to plan things out a little more beforehand.

I do have other equipment in there and right now it's part of the problem. I literally have to move everything out in order to get this mill in to where I want it. That will NOT be fun.

While I'm thinking about it, here are some specs of their newer machines...

I think about the only real difference is that mine has a 2 HP vertical head.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing that makes me do things a bit "differently" is that I have no help, pretty much have to handle anything I do solo.

-Ron

You need to start buying better beer:biggrin::whistle: And as soon as your friends/acquaintances find out you have this beast they will be hanging out at your place all the time wanting something milled

Back