Well It's Almost In My Shop!

I'd like to see some more close up pictures of this machine.
If you have a cherry picker type hoist, that would make quick work out of moving it a couple of feet.
Lift one end and put a pipe under, let it down then go lift the other end and just roll it to where you want it.

That's just what I'm going to do. But first I have to go buy some longer pieces of pipe than what I had on hand to move it long ways off the trailer. It's fine because I can then use the pipe to extend my shop air line which is all 3/4 & 1/2" black pipe. One end of the machine has the big DC spindle motor which I can lift on. The other end has no lifting or jacking points. I'll have to use a railroad bar & fulcrum. I don't think I'll be up for that for a bit. I'm still hurtin for certain!
Pictures I can do. I want to get some of the covers/guards off to see what's there. The thick coating of cosmolene covers much of the details.
This is a fun study! Being sort of a hybrid machine makes for a lot going on with an array of very cool gizmos!
It uses Hardinge B64 collets & I got a couple dozen in the deal. Round & hex sizes up to an inch and a half or so. I most likely won't be using a 20 foot bar feeder. So I'm thinking I could get by replacing the 7.5hp DC spindle motor with a 5hp 3 phase & VFD.It would be nice to use whats on it. But it takes up to 300 volts DC on the field & that would be tricky and expensive to get from my 220 mains.
The 1/8 hp blower motor on the spindle motor looks like the only thing that takes 3 phase on this. Even though I guess I can't use the General Numerics control panel, I'm really anxious to open that box and see what all is in there.
I will take you all along on the tour with as many pics as you can stand!Heh...Heh

Don't underestimate us old cripples we get the job done ..Hope to see that machine working .I worked in a valve manufacturing shop and the building in front of us was full of screw machines turning out dental tools and more . I remember it was a noisey building even at lunch time.

Really cool read, hope to see more post and more pictures!

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

300 volts dc from 220? Could be fairly simple. How many amps you need?
Mark S.

Thanks for the interest guy's! I'll be back with more pics soon. I have to un plug for yet another storm here right quick. As it turned out, getting it off of the trailer was child's play compared to moving it the last six feet or so to it's resting place. Once on the flat, two tons seemed like ten tons. It just would not budge at all on the pipe rollers. Even with a long railroad pry bar. I ended up using an old trick for getting cars & trucks un stuck. I would set up a bottle jack with the base about half way on a wood block. So that when I jacked it up a bit, it would tip over with one end of the machine moving an inch or so when the jack came flying out. That thing kicked my old butt BIG TIME for two days . One inch at a time. & I am now paying the price. If your wondering why I don't ever ask for help, it's because when I do, the 'helpers' spend more time telling me how they 'Think' it should be done rather than just doing it how I 'Know' it should be done! Heh..Heh
But it is now in place & sitting up on pieces of 4 x 4.
It should get fun from here on.
Gotta go or I'll be buying another PC & TV.

Brad

Please consider providing us with some information.
Perhaps a video on how this machine works!
Are screws hobbed or cut?
Are the tolerances adjustable?
Collet pads?
Die head type operation similar to a turret lathe?

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Howdy Daryl; The name 'Screw machine' is confusing . They really are automated turret lathes. I've watched hours of youtube videos of screw machines & have not yet seen one making screws! They come in all different sizes & make a huge variety of products. Not really practical for the home shop, as they are for making hundreds or thousands of an item with each set up. But hey..... I'm not a 'Practical Machinist'!! ( did I just say that?)

Here's a vid to give you an idea of what goes on.
I'm going to order a tripod soon & try to make some vids of my progress.

These machine use a barfeeder usually 20 feet long for a full length of barstock. I have seen some on Ebay ten or twelve feet long.This is the reason for the large spindle motor,as the entire bar is spinning. My largest collet is 1 5/8". So just imagine spinning a 20 foot 1 5/8" bar at up to 4000 rpm's! YIKES!

Back