Well, got the new PM932 .

From what I was told they are the same base machine, I questioned because the PM-45M was listed as having a .375" larger quill but Matt told me that they are both 3" diameter quills and that it was a typo. He told me that the 932PDF was a loaded up 45M as most people were wanting the power down feed (PDF), power X-axis and the power head (Z) but were not as concerned with the flood cooling or the light so he made the 932PDF model which also included the more rigid cast stand vs. the steel cabinet with the door/storage.

Ray may correct me if I am wrong but that is what I remember and why I went with the 932PDF when I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago.

Mike.

Yep, PM45 = PM932 with different available options from the factory. The 932 has a little less travel because there are slight casting changes to accommodate the powerfeed connectors.

In time, it's likely the only PM45 will be the CNC version and all the non-CNC versions will be covered by the 932.

Ray

Yep, PM45 = PM932 with different available options from the factory. The 932 has a little less travel because there are slight casting changes to accommodate the powerfeed connectors.

In time, it's likely the only PM45 will be the CNC version and all the non-CNC versions will be covered by the 932.

Ray
Ray, I'm interested in this mill and was wondering if there are any differences between the PM932-PDF and the Griz G0755?

bob

They look pretty much identical and have very similar specifications so there is a good chance that they start out from the same casting and possibly the same factory but I know Matt special orders his with a few upgrades such as P7 bearings for one.

I am sure Ray can provide much more information as I too am curious to the details.

Mike.

The huge difference is that the PM932 has power-spindle-downfeed (PDF) feature which is nice for automated drilling or boring. Mike is correct in what he pointed-out also, the 932 has hardened internal gears. While the 932 has what's listed as a 1.5 HP motor, it's a much higher efficiency motor, comes from a different factory and we feel it's a top-notch motor.

FWIW, I'm not going down the rat-hole of saying negative things about any other vendor's equipment; rather, I'll point-out the things about the PM equipment which I feel are positive differentiators... Also keep in-mind, the PM machines are vendor locked-down; meaning, the factory is not allowed to make part substitutions to meet demand or price restrictions. Other vendors may not place that restriction on the factory and therefore, I cannot really know what parts are going inside a particular batch of some other vendor's machines (and it's possible the vendor doesn't know either).

Ray

Here is that Harbor Freight super cheap airbrush mist coolant system...

IMG_5240.JPGIMG_5242.JPGIMG_5243.JPG

I just use a dial indicator holder to keep it in place. I use water soluble cutting fluid from Napa in it. It comes with a little glass jar for paints but thats no good for mill work so some clear tube was added to the end of a plastic syringe housing which was just the right size for the 1/4" tube. It actually works really well, and the amount of coolant is adjustable via the airbrush.

And here is a few more pictures of my light...
IMG_5244.JPGIMG_5245.JPGIMG_5247.JPG

It attaches to the spindle by super fancy velcro so I can take it off easily if I ever want to. I also wired a simple toggle switch.

I think both of these cost me less that $20 in total so I would definitely suggest them to anyone with a mill!

IMG_5240.JPG IMG_5242.JPG IMG_5243.JPG IMG_5244.JPG IMG_5245.JPG IMG_5247.JPG

Here's the first sentence from a client who just purchased/received a PM932 mill. He's an experienced woodworker and now getting into metal work... This says it all...

Hi Ray,Made my first chips tonight! Nothing broke and I still have all of my fingers so I'll call it a success! Everything worked great and I am very impressed with this mill. It is strong, quiet and accurate, very nice!! I feel very slow and awkward but I am taking my time and I think I'll get the hang of it soon.

Ray

Matt special orders his with a few upgrades such as P7 bearings for one.
Mike.

On the ABEC vs ISO scales a P5 is the equivalent of ABEC 5. P6 is ABEC 3, P4 is ABEC 7, ABEC 1 is ISO Normal. There isn't actually a P7 though that isn't really important since the ABEC scale and its ISO counterpart are only about TIR. The difference between ABEC 5 and ABEC 7 is .000040 or 40 millionths. Hardly an issue when the collets many of us use have TIR of .0006". I think the statement from Go Bearings, a bearing engineer resource site states it best here:

"ABEC and ISO standards do not cover: radial play, raceway curvature, surface finish, material, ball complement, number, size or precision level, retainer type, lubrication, torque, cleanliness at assembly, packaging and other factors that may be essential to the desired bearing performance."

The important thing when talking bearings is what Matt states on his website. He sources high precision bearings from reputable sources such as NSK, FAG and Nachi.

FWIW, I own the Grizzly 0755 and it is an excellent machine, power X, Z motor to raise/lower the head. I would also buy the PM932 without hesitation. With the 15% off through today at Enco with free shipping I would even buy that one.

Congratulations on your mill 1962guy. You'll love it!
Dave

James,
That airbrush mister is a great idea. I am going to make one, too! Thank you for posting the pics and info! :thumbzup:

Morgan

Nice setup, I'm going to have to order one of those ring lights for my PM932.

Back