Welding Gas Cylinder Carrier

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have always struggled with hauling my welding gas cylinders to the store for refill. They are a cumbersome item to deal with not only with the shape and size, but the weight as well. And then there is the difficulty in securing them properly in the vehicle. My carrier is made to haul cylinders of different heights and diameters as well as carry one or two at a time. I made an adaptor bracket to carry two cylinders. My photos are only showing the one mounting. I just recently used it and I must say, I really like it. It made the whole experience far more pleasurable now. Here is my solution so what do you guys think?

Cylinder Carrier 01.JPG Cylinder Carrier 02.JPG Cylinder Carrier 03.JPG Cylinder Carrier 05.JPG Cylinder Carrier 06.JPG Cylinder Carrier 07.JPG Cylinder Carrier 08.JPG Hitch Tank Rack 01.JPG Hitch Tank Rack 02.JPG Hitch Tank Rack 03.JPG

I've had the same idea.
Haven't yet built it as I've continued to wrestle with the threat of being rear ended.
Although, I was going to build a dual cylinder carrier. Thus, Oxy and Acetylene next to each other and or my two large Argon bottles.
The Oxygen and Acetylene next to each other is a really bad thought....
Regardless, this sure beats laying them flat or inside a vehicle. Both of which many of us have seen.
Have you considered adding a second retention mechanism (two per cylinder).

Daryl
MN

I've had the same idea.
Haven't yet built it as I've continued to wrestle with the threat of being rear ended.
Although, I was going to build a dual cylinder carrier. Thus, Oxy and Acetylene next to each other and or my two large Argon bottles.
The Oxygen and Acetylene next to each other is a really bad thought....
Regardless, this sure beats laying them flat or inside a vehicle. Both of which many of us have seen.
Have you considered adding a second retention mechanism (two per cylinder).

Daryl
MN

Yeah Daryl, as I stated, I made an auxiliary bracket to convert this one in to a two bottle carrier. I too have had times to carry two cylinders at a time.

My thoughts on the car crash thing is that I am taking my life into my own hands every time I climb in the vehicle anyway. This is just one leisurely trip to the welding store on a very rare occasion. My risk is minimal when considering the many times I get into a car anyway.

Last edited:
The task of bottle exchange is always a PITA for me as well. I own several full size cylinders with some duplicates and the trip to the gas yard is some 20+ miles. Randy, I really like your engineering and quality build,but with all the idiots driving and texting I have exposure concerns. We know how robust cylinders are, but the problem or weak link is the valve/cap assembly. God forbid your involved in a rollover.

build,but with all the idiots driving and texting I have exposure concerns

I would too. Watched an idiot texting at a red light, the light turned green for the turning lane and he went full bore into traffic w/o ever looking.

Thanks Paco.

If I worried about all the horrible things that COULD happen to me I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. I am not saying that something will not happen, but I have never heard of one of the accidents. In fact, just think of all the propane tanks going down the road on a holiday weekend on trailers and campers. Again, I just don't hear of these things going off. And Paco, if I am in a roll over, that cylinder going off is my last concern. Let's not over react on a rare trip to the store. Also, how many people are transporting these things unsecured in the back seat laying down? I think that is far more dangerous. You don't even know what is in the car next to you.

And Jeff brings up the whole point, traffic and other drivers are way more dangerous than what I am doing.

I genuinely appreciate your concerns, thank you.

Regardless,
This is a good build and solves a problem many of us have!!

Daryl
MN

Regardless,
This is a good build and solves a problem many of us have!!

Daryl
MN

Thank you Daryl. This does completely solve my transportation issues for these things.

I was really hoping we wouldn't be beating the safety thing to death in this thread.

Its been over ten years since I dug into it. Several sates have laws regarding carrying hazardous materials outside the vehicle body. Some states just listed gasoline, others said any hazardous materials, So one should check their local, and state laws. Many of these racks for holding the 5 gal mil gas cans, scare me. What prompted it, was on a 4wd forum, and a member had a 5 gal can fall off, and he got a ticket for having a storage container outside the vehicles body. Then another member admitted that he had a rack break, and lost a can (did not know it happened until he got to his destination ). Luckily both cans were empty at the time. The whole thread scared me, seeing how clueless so many folks are, mostly when the discussion turned to securing gas, and esp propane tanks. Had at least one person that insisted propane tanks were built so they could roll around the back of a pickup bed.

My trailer has 4 metal loops welded on the floor, to holds straps to strap oxygen tanks horizontally to the floor. Gaseous cylinders I have a few holes in the front corner that I attach some screw eyes to hold straps to secure the cylinders, including propane. For my medical oxygen, I have a rack that holds 8 cylinders, and completely encloses them. Probably not right, but I just throw the whole rack inside the back of the minivan, and run down to exchange them.

Randy, that is a great design, I like how things well thought out, yet simple in design.

For some reason, a Ford Pinto came to mind.

I wonder about the legality of carrying cylinders outboard. I have not found anything specifically forbidding carrying cylinders in such a manner but I would suspect that a state trouper or deputy sheriff might be inclined to pull you over. Also, you have partially obscured your license plate which is a violation of Wisconsin statutes and almost certain to get you a citation.

I struggle with the cylinder transportation problem as well. Having a minivan as my sole means of transport, I have to carry the cylinders lying on their side. I make a point of loading them with the bottom of the cylinder facing the right side of the vehicle so that if the cylinder decides to become a rocket, it won't fly forward or aft. They are restrained in the third seat storage well so they can't move around and I have protective caps for all my cylinders. Not a ideal solution but the best I come up with. Fortunately, I don't go through a lot of gas so trips are less than one a year.

Back