Welding cart build

I need a new welding cart to hold my MIG and TIG machines.
I have a sheet metal one for my MIG but the addition of TIG to the shop means that cart is too small.

I lucked into a serious warehouse cart for $50 so it’s going to be metal supply.
996eebd95873d8be66ae8241ab4f749f.jpg

I cut it into its major components tonight and it’s a heap of 1” square steel.
99d2ad15903ad188e8d034127d398fb6.jpg

I’m going to design it so that I can take advantage of the bent corners as much as possible.
Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. I saw that warehouse cart listed for sale!!

The radius is rather easy to do. First you draw the outline of the 1x1x.06 tubing. Then I drew a line 18 inches up from the front left outside corner. Next I drew a guide point 6" to the right and then another guide point 6" to the right of the first guide point. Draw the radius using the arc command. The guide point is the center of the arc. Then draw a 6" straight line from the radius. Draw another radius followed by an 18" long line down. This is what you should have.
View attachment 332276

Now you can either use the follow me command to draw the full piece or start with the push/pull command to extend the tubing up to an inch or so short of the first radius. That's what I did because the follow me command can be a little difficult to get started if you can't see the start point clearly.

View attachment 332277

Now use the follow me command to draw in the rest of the tube. When using the follow me command I have found that it is best to start an inch or so before a radius and to end an inch or so after the radius. Otherwise the outside of the tube will still be at an angle.

View attachment 332278

Delete the guide points and you are done

Thanks ever so much for that tutorial.
I’ll give it a whirl and see how I get on.
It was relatively easy to draw what I did but I definitely want to be able to more accurately represent what I imagine.

Haha. I saw that warehouse cart listed for sale!!

I thought you might have.
It was a good deal for what I wanted. I could not have bought that much steel for $50.

I wonder if I might prevail on you sometime to assist with a shear and break on a chunk of sheet metal for my bench top.

Last edited:
I thought you might have.
It was a good deal for what I wanted. I could not have bought that much steel for $50.

I wonder if I might prevail on you sometime to assist with a shear and brake on a chunk of sheet metal for my bench top.

CAN DO. Give me a call.

Hmmm good point. Allowing for something I haven't yet bought....

That was one of the tips I got from my welding instructor on building a cart. If you want to paint it, run it for a few months first because you are going to find things you want to add or change.

That was one of the tips I got from my welding instructor on building a cart. If you want to paint it, run it for a few months first because you are going to find things you want to add or change.

....and four years later my cart would still need paint

The radius is rather easy to do. First you draw the outline of the 1x1x.06 tubing. Then I drew a line 18 inches up from the front left outside corner. Next I drew a guide point 6" to the right and then another guide point 6" to the right of the first guide point. Draw the radius using the arc command. The guide point is the center of the arc. Then draw a 6" straight line from the radius. Draw another radius followed by an 18" long line down. This is what you should have.
View attachment 332276

Now you can either use the follow me command to draw the full piece or start with the push/pull command to extend the tubing up to an inch or so short of the first radius. That's what I did because the follow me command can be a little difficult to get started if you can't see the start point clearly.

View attachment 332277

Now use the follow me command to draw in the rest of the tube. When using the follow me command I have found that it is best to start an inch or so before a radius and to end an inch or so after the radius. Otherwise the outside of the tube will still be at an angle.

View attachment 332278

Delete the guide points and you are done
Thanks very much for this!
I'm curious how you spec the wall thickness in Sketchup?

Last edited:
Back