Welding Bench

We have fires daily right now. Everything is so dry. Two weeks ago there was one that burned 285 acres before it was contained. One edge was about a mile from our place. I'm glad the wind didn't change direction, or we would have been evacuated. Late news reported 4 this evening within 25 miles or so of me.

Be careful!

A forest fire is one thing, its when you burn the building down with your hobby that is totally different. My store, business, shop are all located in my home, much like many of your hobby shops are. As much as I try to keep flamables contained and cleaned up, there is always an unsuspected pile somewhere. Hopefully the Carpenter Ants are gone, that pile looked to be fairly old, but it was hidden under a pile of junk and I have been aggresively attacking them this year.

When I did millwrighting at the sawmills, it was common practice to have a spotter under where you were working, and a security detail doing fire watch patrols all night. does not take much for a small ember to smoulder into a fire that will destroy a complete mill.

Yes Be Careful! Keep your eyes and nose open at all times when doing anything that creats sparks.

Walter

Since nearly all of Texas is under an extreme drought, burn bans are pretty much everywhere. No outside bar-b-que or grilling. Even outdoor welding is under some restriction, which kills a lot of our pipeline work. Most of the fires are the result of cigarette butts tossed out the window, sparked from exhaust of cars and trucks. No lightning fires, since we aren't seeing rain or storms. One of them today was traced back to a window unit a/c unit overheating while the homeowners were gone. Total loss. The one near me was caused by an overheated electric motor on an oil well pump. The pump nearest me has a loose belt and squeals on every start cycle. I worry about the belts getting overheated.

I don't know what I would do if I lost my shop, or my home. I'm insured, but it would be devastating. The shop is only about 150 feet from the house, and is metal, but it still could burn. I'm careful to keep flammables out in a metal outbuilding that should be safe from most sources of ignition.

I recently did a tool audit on my equipment, ended up having to up my insured value by a lot. If you are underinsured, that is all they will give you in case of loss, so make sure you are fully covered.

Of course that only covers what you have listed down, does not cover al the extra hidden gems that have collected over the years. Better safe than sorry.

Walter

Last edited:
OK so got the camera back and the order of steel arrived, so here is the rest of the bench now that it is all welded together.

I liked the feature one of our esteemed colleages Chris added to his bench for repairing rear ends etc, so I added the tube under the centre of the bench so that I can insert a 2" sq to make fixtures etc.

Walter

IMG_2587opt.jpg IMG_2591opt.jpg

Last edited:
Ed

Tubing is 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4 wall for legs and cross members. The tube under the table is 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 0.215 Seamless Hitch Tube. I am thinking of adding two more of the hitch tubes. at each end of the bench as they seem good for jigs and fixtures, etc.

Walter

Jerry

Both edges are tapered, about 30 degrees. I put the wide side up, that way if I want to bend something over the edge, I have a nice sharp corner to do it with.

However if the table ever tipped over, it would not only crush from the weight, but also shear off whatever it landed on as it is a pretty sharp edge.

So far it has taken a good beating and held up well.

Walter

Walter if you add the hitch tubes you can make several attatchments for chop saws, grinders and bending jigs that will interchange and move where you need them. I have a ring roller, chop saw, bench grinder and bending jig all fixed up and ready to slide in at a moments notice. That way the table stays open for bigger projects and over hang. You should be able to persuade anything you want with an 8 Lb sledge on a table that thick. Mine is only 1/4 so I have to be carefull what I beat back into shape. Looks good and the addition of the tubes will be a great improvement.
Bob

Back