Welding Bench

Starlight Tools

Active User
Registered
So I was wandering around one of the tool stores in the big city and noticed a neat welding station put out by Miller. http://millerwelds.co/arcstation.

Then I got thinking. I picked up a blade from some big scraper back awhile ago. 20 " wide x 8' long x 1" thick from the scrap yard.

It has a series of holes down the centre, that would make a nifty weldng bench. The plate is hardened steel to boot!

So I am using 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4 HSS Tube for legs, only had enough for four legs, one for each corner so hopefully the plate is stiff enough to support any load. Each leg has a Footmaster GD-100F levelling castor, good for 1650 lbs each so if I am correct should be able to load it up nicely.

Sorry can't take nay pictures till GF gets back from her sisters wedding in Guelph this weekend.

Walter

IMG_2347.jpg

Last edited:
That will make a good one and one that you can beat the heck out of!

Paul

If you decide later to stiffen it, simply get a piece of I or H beam and weld it in place down the center underneath. Or two, leaving access to the holes if they are spaced too closely together to allow a single large beam. You would be able to shim and stress any bow that might be in the plate at that time as well.

OK so bench is welded up and has already been put to use.

There is no way I can even budge a leg off the ground, the plate is 480 lbs, the tubing is about 80 lbs and then the castors so just shy of 600 lbs. Rolls really well on the castors though.

I was fun to flip over to weld on the legs then flip back right side up and put on the ground.

Definitely a good project.

Walter

A picture when you get the chance will be greatly appreciated!!! (not to mentioned admired)

author=starlight_tools link=topic=3247.msg23330#msg23330 date=1314327881
Sorry can't take any pictures till GF gets back from her sisters wedding in Guelph this weekend.

Walter

Last edited:
I would think that your table and ours weighs about the same.

Our welding table is 4x8" approx and 1/2" thick on 3" square tube legs. I use a hand truck to move it around the shop when needed.

sounds like close to the same amount of steel, actually yours will be maybe a touch heavier. So far seems to work out well, other than shop is so full, it will never fit in the door, but then I try to do the welding in the carport anyways. 4x8 is a nice size. This one is a bit narrow at 20" but already had the plate!

I Am thinking of adding a shelf, will see. Need to get more tubing if I decide to go that way. Up till now everything has been on hand to make up this bench.

Glad my sniffer was working good the other night. I had been grinding away and wondered who had a campfire going. We are close to a provincial park and there are a lot of beach homes and one not beach home that regularly get fires going at all times of the day! Found a spot where the sparks had landed in a small pile of Carpenter Ant shavings and it was slowly smouldering, about 3 to 4" around by the time I had found it. Put that out and no more trouble for the rest of the night.

The local forest fire can sure ruin your day. My sister in New Brunswick could not start a fire with a nuc right now. Been the wettest summer ever and Irene added some more!

Back