Weld with Water and Plasma

Mike23

Registered
Registered
OK, so I'm not going to give a link. But Ive been watching this guy on a youtub channel called Don's Engine. I think he's an engineer or something. Anyway he made this video about a Multplaz welder. It welds with plasma and use water to push the plasma. ???? Big Question ???? Has any one else had any experience with this thing? It looks like a kick ass tool to add to the shop. I also watched the videos he suggested about it and it does seem to work really well. I mean if you don't need lots of consumables or gas bottles or the pain of fixxing a MIG machine every couple weeks, its seems like a real good investment. Mike

Hmmmmm.....never heard of that before........ interesting.

In order to get more exposure and comments here's the Don' Engine episode:

And here is the company's website:
https://www.multiplaz.com/

I would also like to hear any first hand experiences, or general comments.....

-brino

EDIT: It is not cheap: https://shop.multiplaz.com/multiplaz3500.aspx
but if it really could replace other machines ..... who knows.....

Last edited:
Thanks Brino. See I hadn't heard of it ether. He mention in that video that its a Russian invention. He found out from the Farm guys, so maybe they know something that that we're just catching up with. Id like to know more for sure, but I did visit the Multiplaz site. It does seem a bit expensive, but when I figure in what Argon bottles, tungsten, and all the other paraphernalia that Ide need for the Combo welder I was gonna buy, it almost seems like a bargain. He also mentioned that he does Brazing with it, which kind of makes me think I could skip buying oxy-acetylene bottles every few months. That would be a saving's in its own. Just a thought. Mike

Would have liked to see the other side of his 100% penetration welds.
Exactly!

Even the manufacturers videos here:
https://www.multiplaz.com/video

Are very light on info.

They show some just okay "arc shots" but absolutely no close-ups of the welds top or bottom afterwards.
I would also like to see filling a v-groove with multiple passes and some serious testing of those welds; like cross-section or even put it in a vise and bending it over with a hammer.

-brino

The aluminum welding video required flux. Welder also put on some kind of glasses rather than an arc welding hood.

That is the classic setup for gas welding Aluminum. The sodium flare from the flux is just intense, you need cobalt blue lenses or whatever the modern equivalent is to even see the puddle.

That's why I ask... good points across the board. Seems like if NASA is using it, it must perform to a critical strength level. Also just finished reading up that they use them for making boilers in S Africa. ... Seems like some pretty bad ass stuff. But I need to know as much as I can before i commit... but i'm really intrigued right now. Mike

Very intriguing, never heard of this before. Thanks for posting Brino.

For me I wish the heads didn’t look like Flash Gordon ray guns. They look like toys. The power supply doesn’t look like that its all biz and looks high tech.

Did anybody see how thick of steel the plasma cutter can cut? And what the equivalent Hypertherm would be? At $2500 it’s going to be hard to see what machines it would replace and what they cost to see if it’s a bargain or not.

I would also love to see how it does on like 22ga steel and aluminum. It claims to have less warpage because less transfer of heat away from the weld even though it welds at way higher temp. That doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Very intriguing, never heard of this before. Thanks for posting Brino.

For me I wish the heads didn’t look like Flash Gordon ray guns. They look like toys. The power supply doesn’t look like that its all biz and looks high tech.

Did anybody see how thick of steel the plasma cutter can cut? And what the equivalent Hypertherm would be? At $2500 it’s going to be hard to see what machines it would replace and what they cost to see if it’s a bargain or not.

I would also love to see how it does on like 22ga steel and aluminum. It claims to have less warpage because less transfer of heat away from the weld even though it welds at way higher temp. That doesn’t make sense to me at all.
Cutting says 3/8" The hypertherm 45 says 5/8" cut.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 11-44-28 Multiplaz Welding, Cutting, Soldering, Brazing .png
    Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 11-44-28 Multiplaz Welding, Cutting, Soldering, Brazing .png
    947.2 KB · Views: 5
I'm skeptical If its so good why have very few of us heard of it. I'm not convinced yet.
I watched the video from Dons it looks like a very poor weld. The bead is uneven and all over the place. Since this guy was demonstrating it he should be able to weld better than that .Hard to determine the actual pentration and as mentioned what's the back look like. I'd like to see a proper test on a welding coupon.

Last edited:
Back