Weight of PM935 base casting?

luxige

Registered
Registered
I recently received my new PM935 mill and I'm dismantling it and moving it down a small set of stairs into a small basement.
Pictures are at the end of this thread:

It's now down to the bare base casting and I need to decide if I can handle it or if I must call in a pro.

Anybody know the weight of the base?
I can't just subtract out the weight of the removed parts, don't have a method to weigh them.

You have 1 thing going for you .............................................gravity . ;)

Not being mean , but it's easier getting them down than up ! :p

I tore my 935 down to repaint the thing. The head unit weighs about 330 pounds. The ram, knuckle and turet about about 250. The knee is about 350. The base and column are about 450. The motor is about 50. Hope this helps.

I've winched a ~2000lb casting down a large flight of stairs with a tirfor on one of those stair climbing 6 wheel sack trucks. It worked surprisingly well. If you've got a few mates that might help you can probably manage a mill base that way.

You have 1 thing going for you .............................................gravity . ;)

It turns out you were right! Gravity was a good tool to use. We slid that bad boy right on down.

See posts #54-67 of this thread for pictures:

While this is fresh in my mind I'll second guess David's numbers a bit. All seem right except i'd say 250 for the knee and 550 for the base/column. Just guessing.

Looks like you're making great progress. But you did miss the opportunity to take out the staircase. LOL

IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

Back