We jumped in head first so to speak with a Cincinnati 205

ALshooter

Registered
Registered
2011-12-03_14-10-42_490.jpgMy dad and I just bought this '64 Cincinatti Cintimill 205 horizontal milling machine with a universal saddle (it pivots 45 degrees). Neither of us have any machining experience and are pretty excited about it. We got a vertical attachment with it as well. This machine was bought new by AL power in '64 and has been at the Forkland, AL power plant ever since. For the past ten years at least it has sat untouched in their shop amongst a dozen or so other machine tools. When we went to look at it it fired right up and all the feeds work as they should. There was one gouge in the table.

As you can see they put it on a pallet which made moving it into the garage from the flatbed trailer very interesting. I'll post a pick later to show an idea of what we did. It involved crow bars, steel risers, steel plate and two old interlocking army bridge sections used as ramps. No one was killed thank God. I did learn that you don't have to have a crane or forklift to move 4000 lbs of steel. Just lots of time (4 hrs) a little know-how (machinist friend who's moved a few mills and lathes) pipes, crow bars, jackhammer chisel, chains, chain binders, a come-along and a glass of sweet tea.

I've already been browsing the projects and gunsmithing forums. Once I do get some experience and a little skill I plan to build a 6" STI in .40 S&W from just a frame and bald unique slide. Milling capabilities are the only thing keeping me from my own build at this point. More pics to come as I get his old gal cleaned up and ready for work.

I started examining (taking apart) the table assembly and there is dried up gunk all inside the workings. So now we are going to tear it down, clean it up and put it back together. Hopefully by then the RPC will be ready and we can start making chips by summer 2012.

2011-12-03_14-10-42_490.jpg

That is one serious piece of equipment, did you say the gun you wanted to build was in the 40mm Caliber or the 400 mm, either way, should handle it fine. LOL

I see this is your first post to the group, so welcome. Keep us informed as to how the mill sets up, what you shop is like and how those pea shooters turn out.

Keep the pictures coming.

Walter

Welcome to the forum. Cincinnati built some really good heavy mills. I've spent a few hours running both a horizontal and a vertical both older than your mill. I'm sure you will find that to be a good mill. As far as gun making, I don't think I would have chosen that style and size, but it certainly can make parts.

I know this machine is a little large for our needs but the price was right. It may eventually get a Bridgeport style head added to the ram. The shop is partly in this picture. It was my late grandfathers and has been used mostly as storage for the past two years. He used to keep his bass boat and truck in it. We plan to re-purpose it. Plenty of room to work with. Maybe add a lathe if we can find one at the right price. 2011-12-04_14-41-26_650.jpg

2011-12-04_14-41-26_650.jpg

Back