WD40 for cutting aluminum ?

Anchor Lube is ok. I recommend thinning it with water to make it go further and reduce the viscosity. Only problem with it, at least for the diluted version is it will get moldy after a while. The stuff in the original bottle keeps so just mix up some when you need it. I had the diluted lube in kids plastic paint cups with lids, but even with lids it would get moldy. Good thing is it doesn't smoke much, which is a big plus.

Anchor Lube is ok. I recommend thinning it with water to make it go further and reduce the viscosity. Only problem with it, at least for the diluted version is it will get moldy after a while. The stuff in the original bottle keeps so just mix up some when you need it. I had the diluted lube in kids plastic paint cups with lids, but even with lids it would get moldy. Good thing is it doesn't smoke much, which is a big plus.
Anchor says you can dilute up to 1:1 with water:

1697481107173.png

I've read the hype. I also read the SDS, which is as good as a blank sheet of paper for determining it's base constituents. Proprietary is a magic word in the land of the free and unregulated corporation. So, how much magic do you think they're using in it? More magic than high grade oil? I'd love to hear about it, especially if that pixie dust works that much better.

I've read the hype. I also read the SDS, which is as good as a blank sheet of paper for determining it's base constituents. Proprietary is a magic word in the land of the free and unregulated corporation. So, how much magic do you think they're using in it? More magic than high grade oil? I'd love to hear about it, especially if that pixie dust works that much better.
I have used a number of cutting fluids over the years and Anchor Lube does make the tapping easier; not, Have I put a torque wrench to it and tested it against other cutting lubes? Nope, not at all, just going by how it feels when I am turning into the material, used it to to run a 7/16"-20 TPI thread 2" deep into 1045 Saturday and it was quite satisfying. Didn't look at the SDS either, I simply assume all lubricants are not good to wash my cotton pickers in and wear protection, my default is to wrap those rascals.... And for those folks who are now in Safety mode, I promise my 9Mil thk Harbor Freight Nitrile gloves will not lead to my gruesome demise....

A "blank" SDS really could mean two distinctly different things about a product's safety. It's either:

1.) The product is as safe as Johnson's Baby Shampoo
2.) The chems are new to industry, and OSHA/NIOSH hasn't gotten around to testing them yet.

The thing about option 2 is that the backlog is 30 years long.

The part that cheeves me off about Anchor Lube's SDS disclosure is they don't even offer toxicology data, as required by the Globally Harmonized System and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard, both of which are law in the USA. Of course, like any crime that doesn't involve violence, someone has to lawyer up and bring a case to court, which nobody is really doing these days either.

The fact that it's water based doesn't mean it's safe. Sodium cyanide and mercuric chloride are both water based.

While we're talking about snake oil, has anyone tried that viper venom or snake spit stuff? They say I could mount a rusty steel spike found by the railroad tracks in the tool post and it won't chatter.

A "blank" SDS really could mean two distinctly different things about a product's safety. It's either:

1.) The product is as safe as Johnson's Baby Shampoo
2.) The chems are new to industry, and OSHA/NIOSH hasn't gotten around to testing them yet.

The thing about option 2 is that the backlog is 30 years long.

The part that cheeves me off about Anchor Lube's SDS disclosure is they don't even offer toxicology data, as required by the Globally Harmonized System and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard, both of which are law in the USA. Of course, like any crime that doesn't involve violence, someone has to lawyer up and bring a case to court, which nobody is really doing these days either.

The fact that it's water based doesn't mean it's safe. Sodium cyanide and mercuric chloride are both water based.

While we're talking about snake oil, has anyone tried that viper venom or snake spit stuff? They say I could mount a rusty steel spike found by the railroad tracks in the tool post and it won't chatter.
10 years from now: If you or your loved one drank Anchor Lube in the past 10 years and died from it you might have a case for litigation call 1-800-382-5633..... Our attorneys are awaiting your call....

I've mostly heard of using alcohol on aluminum with high speed, small tooling (like 24+k RPM and smaller than 1/4".) I think it's to do with the low viscosity and low surface tension being able to get into the flutes better at those speeds.

I've never used it myself, does it do a better job at clearing chips than more oily options? I find with cutting oil or even WD40, the chips tend to stick to the lube an stay around the cutter more than using just air blast.

Tap magic aluminum. it’s by far the best I’ve used aside from flood.
And believe it or not, go-Jo hand cleaner. No grit. It also works great for surface grinding aluminum. Smells nice too.

Back