WD40 for cutting aluminum ?

compact8

Registered
Registered
There seems to be a wide consent that for cutting aluminum, WD40 is the choice of instead of other cutting oil such as tapping oil. May I know the reason? WD40 coming out from spray cans contains a lot of solvent, does it have any negative effect ?

I buy WD-40 in a can and fill a spray bottle with it - much less aerosol. It's not particular noxious or anything, but I still like the liquid to go where I'm trying to put it. The reason to use it: it works better than the other stuff, usually much better. Tapping oil is dramatically worse, and I didn't think much of the Relton green stuff either. And it's cheaper than either.

GsT

There seems to be a wide consent that for cutting aluminum, WD40 is the choice of instead of other cutting oil such as tapping oil. May I know the reason? WD40 coming out from spray cans contains a lot of solvent, does it have any negative effect ?

Then don't spray it. Apply it another way, brush, dropper, or squeeze bottle.

Straight WD-40 or Kerosine work well for cutting and tapping aluminum. A 50/50 mix of WD/Kero, is best IMHO.

I bought a gallon of WD40 and just us an acid brush to put it on. Much less in the air than a spray can. I think Stefan Gotteswinter uses alcohol. There may be more fire risk with it.

I buy it by the gallon, and use a squeeze bottle. WD40 itself is a solvent. I have spray bottles (zep containers) for large coatings (not machining).

I use it for Aluminum, but I still use tap magic for Alum as well. I also use Kool Mist. I like the way tap magic works tapping as opposed to wd40. I find that it leaves a slightly cleaner cut (might be a perception thing).

I bought a gallon of WD40 and just us an acid brush to put it on. Much less in the air than a spray can. I think Stefan Gotteswinter uses alcohol. There may be more fire risk with it.
Alcohol ? this is the first time I hear it. My understanding has been that cutting oil reduces heat , minimizes sticking , prolongs tool life and helps the flow of chips although there are mixed opinions on these. I have even heard that NOT using cutting oil makes tools cooler but alcohol used as cutting fluid is really new to me.

Last edited:
Alcohol ? that's the first time I hear it. My understanding has been that cutting oil reduces heat , minimizes sticking , prolongs tool life and helps the flow of chips although there are mixed opinions on these. I have even heard that NOT using cutting oil makes tools cooler but alcohol used as cutting fluid is really new to me.
yep, many use it. it acts like a super cooler, more so than cutting oil. Not as high in the lubricity, but since it is a liquid it does aid in that respect.
works well.

Back