Wayne's Early Atlas 10D (below S/N 3970)

Mike,

If you don't already have them, you should go to Downloads/Atlas... and get the two Atlas Lathe 10F Series files that I just uploaded. They should match your machine.

The 10" through 10D/E had no spindle stud compound gear. And came with two 96T gears. The highest tooth count in the 10F and most 12" is 64T. And I think that if you remove the left 64T gear from your banjo, you will see that your banjo does not match Wayne's.

Also, not that it matters much, the 32/16 compound gear shown on your chart close to but not engaging the spindle gear is on the tumbler and is farther away from the spindle gear than on your machine. There are one or two (FWD or REV) more gears between it and the spindle gear.

Robert D.

Yes mine does not have this stud and gears but has a F\R gearbox at the head end of the leadscrew. Of interest I just came upon the pictures of the 1933 9" Metalcraft built by Atlas and it is pretty much Identical to my 10" other then the headstock and feet. Of particular interest to me was the picture of the inside of the reverse gearbox .When I got my lathe it was missing the center shift collar and it was not possible to find one to match my gears so I had to make one (the first thing I ever made on a lathe). here are pics of the gearbox and the part I had to make. I still haven't found one for sale anywhere .
img75.gif9-50 Shift Collar-2.jpg

Wayne F

img75.gif 9-50 Shift Collar-2.jpg

Quite a difference between the "before" and "after"!

As I mentioned earlier, one significant difference between the 9/10 and 12/6 is how they reverse the lead screw. The same 9" photo you were looking at is in the 1935 catalog, apparently the last year for the 9" at Sears. They were still in the 1937 Atlas catalog, along with the 10".

I've seen complete F/R gearboxes for sale. And the casting alone. But not I think any individual internal parts. Did you get the 9" file I mentioned? The threading chart should match your machine as nearly as I can tell from photographs and other comparisons.

I just uploaded the 1937 and 1941 Atlas catalogs (lathe sections only, unfortunately). The 1937 10" photos should show your lathe when new.

Robert D.

Yes mine does not have this stud and gears but has a F\R gearbox at the head end of the leadscrew. Of interest I just came upon the pictures of the 1933 9" Metalcraft built by Atlas and it is pretty much Identical to my 10" other then the headstock and feet. Of particular interest to me was the picture of the inside of the reverse gearbox .When I got my lathe it was missing the center shift collar and it was not possible to find one to match my gears so I had to make one (the first thing I ever made on a lathe). here are pics of the gearbox and the part I had to make. I still haven't found one for sale anywhere .
View attachment 47273View attachment 47274

Wayne F
Nice work on the collar!
Hows the babbit in the old girl?
by the way, your transmission pictured is identical to mine with the exception of the leadscrew drive gear pictured on the left.
my gears are both like the ones pictured on the right, the center pictured gear is the same as well.
the parts do come up on ebay.
if you are interested contact me, i'd be happy to share photos of a complete and an assembled transmission assembly. my transmission was a little loose, i can show shim placement to improve leadscrew backlash.
mike:))

Quite a difference between the "before" and "after"!

As I mentioned earlier, one significant difference between the 9/10 and 12/6 is how they reverse the lead screw. The same 9" photo you were looking at is in the 1935 catalog, apparently the last year for the 9" at Sears. They were still in the 1937 Atlas catalog, along with the 10".

I've seen complete F/R gearboxes for sale. And the casting alone. But not I think any individual internal parts. Did you get the 9" file I mentioned? The threading chart should match your machine as nearly as I can tell from photographs and other comparisons.

I just uploaded the 1937 and 1941 Atlas catalogs (lathe sections only, unfortunately). The 1937 10" photos should show your lathe when new.

Robert D.

I have been a bit slack in my posting and not hit my 20 quota yet. As soon as I do I will grab the files you posted. Thank you for them.

Wayne F.

Nice work on the collar!
Hows the babbit in the old girl?
by the way, your transmission pictured is identical to mine with the exception of the leadscrew drive gear pictured on the left.
my gears are both like the ones pictured on the right, the center pictured gear is the same as well.
the parts do come up on ebay.
if you are interested contact me, i'd be happy to share photos of a complete and an assembled transmission assembly. my transmission was a little loose, i can show shim placement to improve leadscrew backlash.
mike:))

The babbits were surprisingly good. I guess that was one of the few things the last owner did for maintenance .He was using it strictly as a wood lathe and the complete headstock area was packed with a nasty oil\sawdust mix.

Here is a caption that went with the transmission picture .I can attest to the fact of picky engagement from neutral but it sounds like it might be worth it if you can go from forward to reverse during threading and not lose sync. I am not sure if that is exactly what they are saying but I will try it first chance.

Leadscrew reversing gearbox comparison: instead of face dogs on the outside of the ZAMAK bevel gears (as on later machines and shown in the gearbox at the top of the picture and the gear in the right of the foreground), this early lathe had a "half-the-circumference" dog cast onto the inside of the bevel gears - with a matching dog on the slider - so giving (because of its single location in/out setting) a "dog-clutch" that could be used to exactly pick up the thread-engagement point when screwcutting. The disadvantage would have been a reluctance to engage quickly - and hence the change to a multi-dog arrangement that was much faster to operate.

Wayne F

I had a 10D that had been converted to 10F leadscrew specs some time in the past. I found this out when I tried to order parts for the lathe and the lady at Clausing had to send me both sets of drawings. I sent the catalogues and other papers to Robert a while back, as he has better use for them, as I sold the Atlas for a heavier lathe couple yrs ago.

Here is the thread chart found on the inside of the gear cover. The 10D had your banjo while the 10F that had the stud gear behind the spindle and had the 3 slot banjo but no 96 tooth gears. I hope you can read the thread chart. In the picture showing the stud gear, it was added by me as the hole was there but had never been used.
Pierre

10gearplate.jpg stud-gear-behind-spindle.jpg

I had a 10D that had been converted to 10F leadscrew specs some time in the past. I found this out when I tried to order parts for the lathe and the lady at Clausing had to send me both sets of drawings. I sent the catalogues and other papers to Robert a while back, as he has better use for them, as I sold the Atlas for a heavier lathe couple yrs ago.

Here is the thread chart found on the inside of the gear cover. The 10D had your banjo while the 10F that had the stud gear behind the spindle and had the 3 slot banjo but no 96 tooth gears. I hope you can read the thread chart. In the picture showing the stud gear, it was added by me as the hole was there but had never been used.
Pierre

Excellent ! That is the best photo of that exact chart that I have seen . I will copy it to a good chart in Excel and redraw the diagrams now that I can see them.
I will post here when finished if anybody wants to print a good copy to use.

Wayne F

You are welcome. This was off my lathe and was also posted on the Yahoo group for Atlas/Craftsman.
Remember that you can click on the photo and it will open in a new window at a bigger and better size.
Pierre

Yes, that's what he means. And explains something about your photographs that puzzled me until I got distracted by something else and forgot to ask about it.

Robert D.

The babbits were surprisingly good. I guess that was one of the few things the last owner did for maintenance .He was using it strictly as a wood lathe and the complete headstock area was packed with a nasty oil\sawdust mix.

Here is a caption that went with the transmission picture .I can attest to the fact of picky engagement from neutral but it sounds like it might be worth it if you can go from forward to reverse during threading and not lose sync. I am not sure if that is exactly what they are saying but I will try it first chance.

Leadscrew reversing gearbox comparison: instead of face dogs on the outside of the ZAMAK bevel gears (as on later machines and shown in the gearbox at the top of the picture and the gear in the right of the foreground), this early lathe had a "half-the-circumference" dog cast onto the inside of the bevel gears - with a matching dog on the slider - so giving (because of its single location in/out setting) a "dog-clutch" that could be used to exactly pick up the thread-engagement point when screwcutting. The disadvantage would have been a reluctance to engage quickly - and hence the change to a multi-dog arrangement that was much faster to operate.

Wayne F

Back