Way oil

Cletus

Registered
Registered
Guys, I've been trying to source Way Oil locally, found a local industrial distributor for Mobil Vactra 2. However, minimum purchase quantity is a 5-gal pail at US$110.00 ($770.00 local currency). The mill arrived from PM with the one-shot oiler filled with way-oil, which I believe to be Vactra or the equivalent thereof and there's quite a bit still in the reservoir.
Not feasible to import a gallon, due to the hassle and cost of hazmat charges, etc.
I can locally obtain, BelRay ISO68 Anti-Wear #2 Hydraulic Oil, in quarts, gallons, etc. all the way up to barrels quite reasonably priced (US$6.79 /quart).
Should I go this route? or should I just bite the bullet for a lifetime (and then some) supply of Vactra 2?
EDIT:
Holy Sheep-$hit Batman!
....just checked the price of Vactra again, it's gone up, now US$185 (local currency $1122.00) per 5-gal :mad:

BelRay.jpg

Last edited:
I personally use the anti-wear ISO68 Hydraulic oil for all my stuff. I figure if massive hydraulic systems can survive on it, than something designed to work on a 80+ year old Mobil product should do fine on it.

I can find 5 gallon buckets of that at my local Napa/Wilco for ~$80, as well as single gallons (though I haven't priced that out in a while!).

I agree with ErichKeane wholeheartedly.
The best way to get Hydraulic oil to "stick" is to throw some STP oil treatment in it as a tackifier. This is exactly what I did for my Bridgeport surface grinder.

Search the board. Some guys buy plain 68 and add bar oil for for a tackifier. I wouldn’t pay those prices. Have you looked for alternatives for Vactra #2? There are plenty out there.

I use both. Vactra #2 in the one shot. Cheap 68 in a can to slick all of the ways and keep an oil film on stuff I don’t want rusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good alternatives here. Oil sellers have learned that making and selling a "special" and "required" lubricant for their "better" machines and tools can get a lot of people to buy their high priced lubricants, that are quite often not really so special... I have been caught up in it myself until I caught on to what is going on in manufacturer's minds, making "special" lubricants to go with their "special" machines, with large mark-ups. I make my own "special" lubricants as needed when I can determine what they really are. I have not found any problems or wear related to lubricants in my shop, but it is also not a busy commercial shop, either. I also own a lot fewer basic lubricants and do a lot less driving or mail ordering to purchase what I really need. YMMV.

I would try bar oil for chain saws. The requirement for the chainsaw bar lubrication is similar to that of machine ways. Bar oil is available here for under $10/gal. You should be able to easily find a local source in Trinidad Tobago.

Ahh, will probably get bar oil at the local Stihl distributor or agri store. Thanks guys!

Guys, I've been trying to source Way Oil locally, found a local industrial distributor for Mobil Vactra 2. However, minimum purchase quantity is a 5-gal pail at US$110.00 ($770.00 local currency). The mill arrived from PM with the one-shot oiler filled with way-oil, which I believe to be Vactra or the equivalent thereof and there's quite a bit still in the reservoir.
Not feasible to import a gallon, due to the hassle and cost of hazmat charges, etc.
I can locally obtain, BelRay ISO68 Anti-Wear #2 Hydraulic Oil, in quarts, gallons, etc. all the way up to barrels quite reasonably priced (US$6.79 /quart).
Should I go this route? or should I just bite the bullet for a lifetime (and then some) supply of Vactra 2?
EDIT:
Holy Sheep-$hit Batman!
....just checked the price of Vactra again, it's gone up, now US$185 (local currency $1122.00) per 5-gal :mad:

View attachment 387795
If you buy chain bar oil you can easily adjust how much tack you want-more on vertical surfaces, less on horizontal.Also costs less in US.

Back