way & lube oils

I mentioned in another posting, that I have used Mobil Climbing Gear Lube that my Dad used in the railroad business. It is super sticky. I had tried oils on the gears but like Ray, they get dry fast.
Pierre

I must have missed that post and I'll check into that... THanks

I mentioned in another posting, that I have used Mobil Climbing Gear Lube that my Dad used in the railroad business. It is super sticky. I had tried oils on the gears but like Ray, they get dry fast.
Pierre

Two years ago when I got sorta serious about starting to use my equipment again I checked all of the local and chain auto parts and hardware stores (including two NAPA) within about an 8 miles radius of home (roughly 20 places). None carry SAE 20 non-detergent anymore except Ace and all that they have are the little 3-IN-ONE cans which if you use very much per month would be frightfully expensive. So I ordered some from Enco. However, later it suddenly dawned on me that Bass Tool and Supply has all sorts of specialty non-automotive lubricants. So check for a machine tool supply house in your area.

Unless you have a wet sump or an oil circulating pump and reservoir, using any weight oil on open gears isn't going to work for more than an hour or two. I'm going to look into Pierre's Mobil suggestion.

And incidentally, one problem the late Atlas machines don't have is swarf getting into the headstock.

Robert D.

Thats odd hard to find non detergent? Isnt that suppose to be used in lawnmowers and such. My idea
is seasonal. I havent any problems with detergent oils. In warm weather its 20-50 off the shelf for
everything. For gearing I use 90# gear oil - shaper scotch yoke and bull gears 90#.
Now because I dont leave the heat on I now use 10 weight and the 20-50 for gearing. just the opposite.
And then this practice may not be good for new machines. Then my big lathe gotta be 100 yrs old
is happy with 50 weight oil for headstock bearings so I guess it just depends. Then lately I have been
mixing some of those pctc's whatever its called that makes it even more slipprey and suppose to fill
pits and voids like engine restore. This is just my thinking, if this practice does more harm than good,
wouldnt you think my machine would have taken a dump years ago. Sometimes I just look at my
big old Greaves and wonder what it did in 1918 lot of junk oils back then, evidently it was taken care
of by a white haired gold glasses guy smokin a pipe with an apron on. Heres the shocker years ago
a construction freind pouring drain oil in the hydraulic tank of a dozer??? The dozer out lived him
his sons still got it today! YIKES now thats the holy grail of sins...

Please DONT used nondetergant oil in your small eng. I dont think theres an eng out there built after 1960 that calls for non detergant oil in it.

I may not know anything about a lathe, but small engs I know.

pdentrem:

A google search of Mobil Climbing Lube sent me to Summitt Racing Supply.
Is this the same lube that you suggested?
tks

BTW, I think we are sort of close neighbors. I live just south of Buffalo NY in Orchard Park

As a compromise between oil and grease on the change gears, I find chainsaw bar oil, which is made for clinging to metal turning tight high speed corners works well.

Any old lube needs to be washed off first for best results though.

Bernard

edit, wrote oil too many times

Last edited:
GK1918,

I didn't mean that non-detergent oil can't be found. I was referring to SAE 20. Of the places I went to during my local search last year, all had at least one brand of SAE 30, a few had SAE 10 and a couple even had SAE 5. But no SAE 20 at any of them.

Robert D.

pdentrem:

A google search of Mobil Climbing Lube sent me to Summitt Racing Supply.
Is this the same lube that you suggested?
tks

BTW, I think we are sort of close neighbors. I live just south of Buffalo NY in Orchard Park

Well cover me in lube. I was calling it the wrong name. It is Mobil Mobiltac E - Open Gear Compound.
Here are photos showing the product. My Dad retired 17 yrs ago, so this can is at least that old.

Not far from you on a SNOWLESS day!

front-of-can.jpg back-of-can.jpg

What do you use on the open gears?
tks

For the open gears on my old Craftsman, I use "Cling Surface Open Gear and Wire Rope Oil". It is a bit messy to use if you are not careful, but it is a Moly-Penetrating oil and it creeps into the nooks and crannies and stays there. After cleaning the gears well, I spray it daily for the first 3 or 4 days, then once a week or so after. It makes the gears run smooth and quiet. To keep the mess down, use the red tube that comes with it, and get a paint can sprayer handle. Pull the trigger slow. A full blast will splash. Splash wipes up easily till it dries, then you can use a little penetrating oil or degreaser to wipe it off. Wrap a blue shop-towel around the can and secure it with a wire-tie to catch any drips.

I order it from McMaster-Carr:
Each​
SizePkg.
Qty.
Partial
Pkg.
Full
Pkg.
12-oz. Aerosol121073K74$10.34$9.34

I think that NAPA also sells the same thing under a different name, but I have not used it. You can google "Open Gear and Wire Rope Oil" for other sources.

Back