Water-Cooled TIG connectors confusion

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have purchased WP-20 size water cooled TIG torch, branded "CK-20". I have to hope that it is a good brand, because it cost a bit more than the China imports, though for me (UK) it was still an import. I had been happily checking out all the bits, and it has caused me some questions about pipe thread sizes compatibility. I will try and explain..
Start with pictures - always better for clarity :)

CK-20 Water Cooled TIG.png _ _TIG-6.png

TIG-4a.png

For my welder, the electrical connection is by the European-style 13mm "insert-and twist" thing with the lug on it, and no gas nor water comes out via the welder. Gas and fluid stuff is all elternal to the welder. The adapter to connect to the water return, while making the electrical connection is shown. The very same is used for the standard setup where the gas goes up the power lead.

In the CK booklet, it shows the gas goes in the black pipe, the water goes in the blue pipe, and the water return comes out the red, which is a combination water + electrical current pipe.

The adapter standard 3/8" BSP threads (that's BSPP, not taper sort) would the very same 3/8" shown in the CK blurb leaflet, and and first sight, look to be the right size - but they are not! The red lead female starts to screw on, about one turn, and then binds up. I guess I need either a different product, or some other thread adapter to get it coupled up.

Thus the questions..
What does "DINSE" acronym stand for?
Are the sizes something special to welding?
Are these standard across brands?
Is this situation something to do with a difference between USA 3/8" pipe threads, and UK 3/8" pipe threads?

I could use a little help figuring out what to get to put this kit together.

The dinse connector is likely the same thing you have with a twist and lock. I recently got the same torch for my Everlast welder and yes the water connection is the red hose and in an added on join with a “flying” hose to go to the cooler. I can post a photo later. I. Using quick connectors that were made for the hoses. I dont know what pipe thread it is, i assume metric or BSPP.

edit: on the air cooled torch the gas used to go in when the water comes out (if im correct on the flow direction) and the black gas hose is a separate connector hose to the gas outlet on my welder. Red and blue water hoses go to the cooler.

All you need is the water-cooled DINSE connector, I'm almost positive of it.

BTW, is that the actual torch you received with those exact fittings? If it is not, can you post a picture of the actual unit? REAL pictures would simplify things a lot. ;)

All you need is the water-cooled DINSE connector, I'm almost positive of it.

BTW, is that the actual torch you received with those exact fittings? If it is not, can you post a picture of the actual unit? REAL pictures would simplify things a lot. ;)
OK - The picture is of the real kit. I take it that this torch is a decent one?
Of course, it still needs collets, and stuff, and I have to get in some filler rod.

The gas/water adapter (is that what is called "DINSE"? ) has a thread that is supposedly BSPP 3/8". It very nearly starts to go on, but binds up after about 3/4 turn. There is a threads mismatch. I am going to measure it as best I can to find out what is odd here.CK-20 Torch.jpg

Dinse Plugs push in and twist to lock and are the most common type of plug for fitting welding cables to welding machines. Two common sizes are available 10-25 which has a 9. 5mm (3/8") diameter pin and 35-50 which has a 12.

CK is one of the major brands here in the US. As you can see this is a special size that I think are only used on welding machines and you will require an adapter.

3/8bsp has nominal thread outer diameter of 16.6mm. Machines not made in places that cling to archaic standards now often use M16x1.5 threads for torch connections, and indeed it's entirely possible that's the case here. 1 turn and binding would seem about right.

I got all the stuff from CK so it was plug and play. I had trouble taking a photo holding the ipad in one hand amd the connector in the other. My “dinse port” measures 13mm I.D. And the male part with the cam protruding is 12.7mm O.D. cam excluded.

DEBAABDD-32CB-49D3-B294-CBE58DA0E457.jpeg

Remember, you are reading this on the internet, i am not an expert. I have played one a few times…. I think the thread is 3/8 BSPP (British standard pipe, parallel). 19 threads per inch. These are widely used throughout Europe AFAIK.
Sealing is not via threads. I measure the major diameter to be right at about 16mm.
6956A432-4C5D-461F-985C-25ED2AF80A7F.jpeg
A great system because tapered threads suck!

Thanks much! I will be doing thread identification tomorrow (it's 10:30pm here).
I also got sidetracked because the contractor arrived about starting breaking ground for my outhouse AKA shop/hideout/man cave :).
I may be putting all aside for that soon :)

my cooler is new and the CK-20 torch with the water cooling is a fantastic upgrade. My 9 and even my 17 air (gas) cooled torches got uncomfortable very quickly. Now i can ”choke up” on the torch head all i want. Super happy with mine. The torch cost me a little more than the cooler once all said and done.

Back