water based coolant freezing

atfab

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried mixing RV antifreeze and cool tool ?
my shop is not heated and it gets cold here in PA.
I just heat it with a salmander when I'm working.

Has anyone tried mixing RV antifreeze and cool tool ?
my shop is not heated and it gets cold here in PA.
I just heat it with a salmander when I'm working.

I've never mixed it with cool tool but I use it in my in my tig cooler, Because where it is its not heated. And we've had some temps in the low 20s the last couple years.

Paul

Many moons ago, when I was a spry young apprentice, I worked for this old German Master in a steel fab shop. The building was a steel structure, with tin walls. No insulation, pidgeons were constantly flying inside, etc. Might as well have been working outside, except that you didn't get rained on as there was a roof over your head.

Well winter would come and although it rarely froze in the Burnaby / Vancouver area, once in a while it would. So as the temperatures dropped, even though it did not freeze, it still got mighty cold, the occasional time the temp would plumment and the bandsaw and cold cut saw coolant, basicaly water soluble cutting oil, or milk as it was commonly called would start to freeze up. So we added a bit of antifreeze to the cutting fluid to keep it liquid and then if it got really cold and water stopped running from frozen pipes, out would come an old blast furnace, hook that up to natural gas and light it up. That took the chill off the air, sort of. Then Walter had to play plumber and repair any cracked water pipes that had split from the freezing.

So yes, I have used antifreeeze in water soluble cutting fluid.

Walter

One shop I worked in we had to take turns chopping wood for the heater and busting holes in the coolant. Miserable shop. I tried dumping a gallon of denatured alcohol in about 15 gallons of water soluble oil, and it didn't freeze again until all the alcohol had been boiled off at the cutting point, where it easily exceeded the boiling point of the alcohol.

Back