Wards - Logan 10 x 24 question(s)

Not to hijack your thread but I discovered when I got my Logan 1820 a few weeks ago that the set screw in the middle pulley was missing. I discovered this when after oiling the belt slipped when in the middle position! Um...derrrrrr! Anyone know the sixe of that little critter? Hopefully not some crazy obsolete size!!

I believe that set screw is 1/4-20 x 3/8" long.

Hope that helps.

Steve

When I first got the lathe, the end gear cover wouldn't stay closed because the latch spring was missing. I contacted Logan and they told me it was no longer available. I tried to make one, unsuccessfully, but I did stumble on a neat solution. I had a couple of rare earth magnets salvaged from an old phone carrying case, which I super glued to the case. It works great. Here is a couple of pics of the solution. They should never break or get loose and rattle.

IMG_1598.jpg
IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg IMG_1599.jpg

Almega,

I have a Logan model 815 which is obviously different than your lathe, but they are all similar. I don't believe there is a spring on that cast gear cover. The standard design has a spring loaded, threaded knob/handle. When you screw it in, it locks against that cast tab in your picture, which holds the cover closed. In your pic it looks like that spring loaded knob has been replaced with just a fixed knob/handle.

Do you have a manual for your lathe? It may show some detail of what I'm talking about. If not I can probably send you some pic's of mine. Making the parts would actually be a nice little project to make on your lathe.

Your magnets will work fine if you're not interested in having the original stuff.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Almega,

I have a Logan model 815 which is obviously different than your lathe, but they are all similar. I don't believe there is a spring on that cast gear cover. The standard design has a spring loaded, threaded knob/handle. When you screw it in, it locks against that cast tab in your picture, which holds the cover closed. In your pic it looks like that spring loaded knob has been replaced with just a fixed knob/handle.

Do you have a manual for your lathe? It may show some detail of what I'm talking about. If not I can probably send you some pic's of mine. Making the parts would actually be a nice little project to make on your lathe.

Your magnets will work fine if you're not interested in having the original stuff.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thanks for the information, Steve. I do actually have the manual, and it shows just a flat spring steel catch that latches by friction only. The way you discuss sounds interesting, however, I must say that I am very happy with the magnet solution. They hold very well and they are small, neat and out of the way so that nothing can catch on them.

That being said, projects are always cool, especially if they help me learn and develop more skills. I am new at this whole metal thing, as I was a master cabinetmaker in a previous life. Lots of similarities but obviously many differences as well.

Hmmmm.....maybe we are confusing doors here. On my lathe, and all others I've seen, the sheet metal door that covers the belt/pulleys from the motor to the counter shaft is held shut by a spring clip as you describe. And yes, they are always broken. Anyway, if the magnets work........you're done! :))

Yes, a lot of similarities with turning wood and metal. Just let me know if you're interested in making the other knob as a project and I'll take some pic's/dimensions of mine.

Steve

Thanks for the pics Scott. And you do not need pretty paint to make chips. That looks like one very nice machine. Great idea on the magnets, I like it.

It does seem to do a decent job of making chips and is certainly far more capable than the current operator, but I am learning. I have a fair amount of scrap metal, bits and pieces of HR and CF steel and aluminum, that I have accumulated over the past few years from other endeavors, that I can play with. Lots of fun thus far. I am in the process of building a cabinet to fit into the stand in the space below the lathe that will hold tooling and parts. I will provide some pictures when that is done.

Last edited:
Back