Wanted advice on upgrading from my modified HF welder.

Dav_Daddy

Registered
Registered
I'm currently using a highly modified Harbor Freight 125a flux core welder. I've performed just about every mod to it that I am aware of, including:

• Conversion to DC electrode positive
  • Upgraded cooling with shroud for the stock fan, and 12 X 12V fans for the side of the case and the heatsink for the bridge rectifier.
  • Added 60k of capacitors to smooth output along with a bleed resistor.
  • Added the option to run gas with 12V solenoid activated by a latching switch next to the trigger of the gun, along with some airline tubing running from the solenoid to a 90° fitting in the side of the torch shroud.
I think there is one more mod but what it was escapes me at the moment?

Anyway, after using a friend's good welder I realize that despite the fact that I can squeeze some darn impressive results out of the little crap box I really need to upgrade. Before then I really had no idea of the bad habits I'd picked up inorder to work around the welders limitations. The main one being using stickout to regulate amperage into the material if anyone was curious.

Anyhow, I was leaning towards this one I found on Amazon. I really like that it is gas/gasless and that it can TIG. Does anybody have any experience with this model or know of something better in the same price range?

Here's the link it won't let me post it in the body of my thread.

LDHTHOPI 160A MIG Welder, 4-in-1 Flux Core/Solid Wire/Lift TIG/Stick Welder, 110V Gas/Gasless Welder Machine for Home, Car, Yard, Workshop, Farm

Any advice opinions are appreciated.

I really doubt that no-name $110 4-in-One welder will be any kind of upgrade over your current HF welder.

Are you using your 12v solenoid to actually run a shielding gas with your HF welder? REAL MIG (metal INERT GAS) shielded welding is a massive improvement over flux core wire in my experience. Save the money on another cheap welder and put the money towards a bottle of CO2-AR mix!

I have found the spools I buy at the welding store lay down a better weld for me than the spools I used to buy at HF and they only demand a very small price premium over the HF spools. This is nothing close to the improvement that shielding gas made over flux core for me though.

Last edited:
Hi, Welcome to HM!
DCEP is generally used only with true gas MIG, while DCEN is for flux-core "MIG".
Anyway, I agree with MikeInOr, That Amazon welder would be more of a sidestep than a real upgrade. While you don't necessarily need to spend thousands on a Miller or a Lincoln, as there are less expensive options on the market. However, you do, get what you pay for. In my sense, if you don't need pro grade, get at least middle of the road.
One of the big things you get with more money is Duty Cycle, increasing how long you can actually weld, at a given output without overheating the machine.
With MIG, the wire feed mechanism is also very important, better quality gives you more consistent feed, less jams-stalls and longer service life.
Another consideration is what kind of work you do with the welder and what you think you might want to do with it in the future?

All other issues aside, get a 220v capable welder. Some of them are very c̴h̴e̴a̴p̴ economical and get good reviews. Check Youtube, there are lots of welder reviews.

All other issues aside, get a 220v capable welder. Some of them are very c̴h̴e̴a̴p̴ economical and get good reviews. Check Youtube, there are lots of welder reviews.

Yes, would also recommend a 220v welder. I believe many of the lighter duty welders will run on 220v or 110v (at a lower output).

The only issue with a 220V machine is the only place I can get 220V is directly off the pedestal.

There are two lines off the pedestal, one a double 50, goes to the house. The other a double 100 goes to the tankless waterheater and the heat pump.

So in my case 220V would be nice but not practical unless I want to kill electricity to the house, or the AC & hot water. I'm in Arizona so in summer doing either of those will get me skinned alive if I'm lucky...

The only issue with a 220V machine is the only place I can get 220V is directly off the pedestal.

There are two lines off the pedestal, one a double 50, goes to the house. The other a double 100 goes to the tankless waterheater and the heat pump.

So in my case 220V would be nice but not practical unless I want to kill electricity to the house, or the AC & hot water. I'm in Arizona so in summer doing either of those will get me skinned alive if I'm lucky...
I lived in Mesa for 8 years so I know what you mean about messing with the AC.

Unfortunately, getting any kind of electric welder that is good and runs on 120v is pretty much a non-starter. It's just the physics of the thing, look up ohms law for more understanding.

I used to do business with these guys when I lived out there, but admittedly I didn't really have a good rig.

As you found out probably one of the best/worst things you can do is go and try some of the better quality equipment to see what you've been missing. Sometimes the LWS will have demo or rental machines you can test in their shop.

Another alternative is a community college class.

Some folks just stay enrolled indefinitely so they have access to the machines and facilities as well as getting instruction.

You look like a young guy so unless you have an awesome career you might want to look into welding for more than just a hobby.

In any case, educate yourself on electric loads, you may be able to use the service you already have for a 240v machine. Most lower cost units have a pretty low duty cycle so actual consumption may be less than you think. Post a picture of your service so we can see why it's so limited.

If you do go with a 120v machine get the best one you can. This doesn't always mean blue or red but you should at least try a few out so you know what all the hype is about. There is a reason high quality welding machines cost so much and it's not because the pros are just wealthy and want to show off to each other.

Good luck, and let us know how you progress in your journey. Also, post some pictures of your modified rig. Some day in the future you'll want to look back on where you started and there's a pretty good chance we'll still be around.

John

I'm currently using a highly modified Harbor Freight 125a flux core welder. I've performed just about every mod to it that I am aware of, including:

• Conversion to DC electrode positive
  • Upgraded cooling with shroud for the stock fan, and 12 X 12V fans for the side of the case and the heatsink for the bridge rectifier.
  • Added 60k of capacitors to smooth output along with a bleed resistor.
  • Added the option to run gas with 12V solenoid activated by a latching switch next to the trigger of the gun, along with some airline tubing running from the solenoid to a 90° fitting in the side of the torch shroud.
I think there is one more mod but what it was escapes me at the moment?

Anyway, after using a friend's good welder I realize that despite the fact that I can squeeze some darn impressive results out of the little crap box I really need to upgrade. Before then I really had no idea of the bad habits I'd picked up inorder to work around the welders limitations. The main one being using stickout to regulate amperage into the material if anyone was curious.

Anyhow, I was leaning towards this one I found on Amazon. I really like that it is gas/gasless and that it can TIG. Does anybody have any experience with this model or know of something better in the same price range?

Here's the link it won't let me post it in the body of my thread.

LDHTHOPI 160A MIG Welder, 4-in-1 Flux Core/Solid Wire/Lift TIG/Stick Welder, 110V Gas/Gasless Welder Machine for Home, Car, Yard, Workshop, Farm

Any advice opinions are appreciated.
Well there is your first problem. Flux core is DCEN which means DC negative.

Pedestal???? Are you referring to the breaker box?

Power requirements can lead to frustrating limitations. Are you planning on staying with your HF welder? I had never heard of upgrades to the HF welder, or any welder, before. Very interesting!

True MIG (With an inert gas, C02 / AR mix) was a huge upgrade over rosin core welding for me. I get SO MUCH better results with a shielding gas!

I'm not a welder by any stretch of the imagination but I absolutely love my Primeweld MIG180.

Back