Want To Buy Collet Closer For Clausing 13x36

It appears, after looking through two Machinery's Handbooks decades apart, that your spindle taper is a Stub 5MT. The actual large end diameter is 1.748". The part that you need is a 5MT to 5C adapter. Look at eBay Item
111653854076. The shiny flanged piece in the middle of the lower row in the main photograph is one. I imagine that the odds of the seller being willing to sell only that piece are slim and none. But at least you can see what one looks like. The only thing near that I found on eBay tonight fits a Heavy 10. I'm not familiar with SB lathes but vaguely recall it might be a 4-1/2 taper. In case I'm wrong, it's Item # 301599800189.

So it sounds like you just need the nose piece, maybe someone who has one could blue print it for you and send the specs, or maybe Royal has the data online or you could pick up a used nose piece on ebay. On my closer the Royal label was imprinted in small print in the bearing housing back by the handle, that could have changed though. You could have an Asian copy of the Royal. I can tell you for certain its not a Hardinge closer, they were also available for lots of machines.

Thanks for all your help on this. If you are ever in or passing by Grants Pass on the I-5 stop by. I owe you a bottle of wine.---Matt

Thanks for all your help on this. If you are ever in or passing by Grants Pass on the I-5 stop by. I owe you a bottle of wine.---Matt
Back in 2006, we did a tour of Northern California and went as far North as Grants Pass, OR. From there, we headed West on 199 towards the Redwoods, California coast. I took this photo in a restaurant there. http://www.pbase.com/jmhoying/image/62697457

Found it. Called Royal and they said they don't make it anymore. They referred me to JFK Precision of Burbank, CA. (818-767-8573).

Proper name is "5c Taper Mount" price: $187.00. Expensive because it is hardened and precision ground.

My thanks to all who helped me on this search.

Back