Walking/survival stick ...

Thats nice work and a very good write up. What sort of wall thickness did you end up with after "lightening" them?
How are the 4140? tips standing up to use? A lot of factory sticks have a carbide tip in them. I dont know if you can buy replacment tips or maybe braze a piece carbide in yourself.

Cheers Phil

Beautiful work as usual Will and great write up too. I love the spiral knurling!

Reminds me of the Crawford survival staff. Always wanted one of those...

Cool project. Thanks for the excellent work on describing the process, and the fantastic photo work!

Thank you guys for your kind words :eek:

Looks like your HP calculator has taken a beating in its life :)
Yes, that 12C was bitten 13-14 years ago by a large dog I used to have. Even after those bytes (I think he was teething at the time), the 12C still works "as new", so I keep it as a memento/reminder of him :))

I hope your DRO scales are coolant-proof!

First of all, great pics, and great coverage of your whole project! Love it. I might make one for my Dad...

...and man oh man, awesome job! Beautiful finish! Wow!

Bernie

So, is it a walking stick? A weapon? Or both? And nice work all around, pics, machining all of that, very nice.

Thats nice work and a very good write up. What sort of wall thickness did you end up with after "lightening" them?
How are the 4140? tips standing up to use? A lot of factory sticks have a carbide tip in them. I dont know if you can buy replacment tips or maybe braze a piece carbide in yourself.

Cheers Phil

Phil,

Looking at my notes, the thinnest portions have a wall thickness of approximately 0.058"

I actually did not know about the Crawford survival staff (and the carbide tips, and accessories) until after I made this post. Looking back, adopting a common thread size would/could have made things a little easier :thinking:

But in reality, after two camping trips the un-treated 4140 steel is holding up great, so for the other staff/stick I will probably to the same thing again since it adds some nice weight to the end :))

Last edited:
Back