Walker Turner slow speed attachment

phubbman

Registered
Registered
As I'm learning machining basics, i see more need for slower speed on my drill press (1930's Walker Turner 15" floor model). I wound up with a trashed out slow speed attachment that needed some work.

(as found)
before 1.jpegbefore 2.jpeg

There were two basic problems - the smallest diameter pulley was simply missing - apparently worn off, and the bearings were done.

There were two types of this attachment and i wound up with the older, non-serviceable type where the bearings are integral to the shaft. The inner race was actually ground onto the shaft and the bearings were assembled onto it. Hmmmm. And, to make things more interesting, there was an internal snap ring on the I.D. of the pulley, in between the two bearings. You can't press the shaft / bearing assembly out through either end of the pulley. pulley2.jpg
this is as far as i could get the shaft/bearing assy out of the pulley

IMG_3917.JPG

But i'm stubborn.

Since one bearing was free of the pulley, i cut it off with my rotary tool. Then, i pressed the shaft / remaining bearing out the other side of the pulley bore. Finally, i removed the internal snap ring. Disassembled and partially destroyed.
A39EF8B3-2808-40E7-BF4C-0B720349C367.jpeg

I turned a new shaft with a reduced diameter section to press new bearings on (with a spacer in between them). I drilled and tapped this smaller end of the shaft and fixed the bearings to the shaft with a washer / socket head cap screw.
diagram_r.JPG

Then came fixing the pulley. It originally was a 5", 4", 3", 2" step pulley. The 2" section was missing, and the 3" section was too worn to use any more. My Dad happened to have a 3", 2" step pulley, so with a little lathe work and some JB Weld they soon became one.
pullies to wed.jpeg

old big.JPGnew small.JPG
glued.JPG

Then i turned the assembly on the lathe, taking light cuts - just enough to true it all up. One last cut on the I.D. of the pulley for a new snap ring to hold it all in place, and it all went together nicely.
Done 2.JPGDone 1.JPGDone 3.JPG

Basically, i copied how the newer version of the Walker Turner slow speed attachment is made. Now, at least, it's serviceable when the bearings wear out. I'm not posting this to brag (though i'm happy with how it came out). I do hope this might help someone else who finds themself in the same situation.

Now i just need to mount it on the press and put it to work.

paulh

Good save.
Just today I dug a Walker Turner drill press out of storage and gave it to the neighbour. We were wondering what that lug on the top of the frame was for. Thanks you answered the question.

Greg

I have a Walker Turner too and I always thought that speed reducer was the silliest thing ever. Talk about an afterthought- that is an after-after thought
-Mark

Back