Wachuko's Projects

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Figured I will start my own thread...

I am a newbie and have not spent a lot of time using my milling machine until recently. Within the next year, if all goes well, I will be adding a metal lathe, CNC plasma table, and a few additional tools. Currently in the process of turning my G0704 into a CNC milling machine.

Anyway, I needed to make a dust cap for a coffee grinder. Since I do not have a rotating table, nor a wood lathe, had to improvise with what I had. It was fun, and I had to resist buying a wood lathe for this project. I figured that for the amount of use that I will give a wood lathe, I can just wait and use that money for the metal lathe that I want... I have seen many folks using metal lathes for wood projects when the need comes up... Do correct me if my perception is off.

Here are the tamper and smaller cap I have, and what I wanted to match with the new (larger) cap.

IMG_3736.jpg

I wanted to make a cap like this one, only larger...

IMG_3785.jpg

Ordered the wood, cut to size. Since the cap was larger than any of the wood blanks I had, I glued two pieces together...

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg
IMG_3806.jpg

Up to that point, all was fairly easy... then I used the milling machine to make the cap completely flat and to add the edge. Making this cut was interesting, to say the least, without a rotating table... took awhile, lol.

IMG_3822.jpg

Checking fitment...

IMG_3823.jpg

Final product (I gave it several coats of clear gloss polyurethane later):

IMG_3845.jpg

That is all for now. Hopefully more projects to come as I finish the CNC conversion...

Last edited:
What kind wood are you using?

SPECTRAPLY BLANK: GEMWOOD

I ordered blanks in different sizes to play around with...

Would never replaced something as nice and stronger as Cocobolo, or Black Walnut... but I just wanted something different...

Back