W.F. Wells l-9 saw

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
Here's my latest addition to the shop. A W.F. Wells 9" x 16" model L-9 horizontal band saw.
DSCF1414.jpg

It came with a 48" unloading table, coolant tank, trough and pump.

DSCF1415.jpg

It a bigger than I was looking for but I said the same thing when I bought my South Bend 16" x57" lathe. Paid .75 cents a pound for it.

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1415.jpg

someone else said this "but you have to love a hobby that requires a fork lift."
thats nice
steve

A fork lift is one of the things on my wish list. The Bobcat does alright for most lifting jobs under 1,000 lbs but sometimes I really need a fork lift.

someone else said this "but you have to love a hobby that requires a fork lift."
thats nice
steve

Oldmachinist,
Very nice saw. Does it have the butress thread half-nut on the vise clamp screw? I have the WF Wells A-7 and like it very much. The butress half-nut on mine is worn and I have been putting off making a new one. It's on the to-do-list though.

jumps4,
Charley almost talked me into going halves on a fork lift but you need to have all paved/smooth surfaces to keep all the wheels on the ground and not stick it. I guess I will just have to live with a tractor mounted front end loader. Also don't have the space to park a forklift inside when not used.

Benny

Benny,
Yes it has the buttress thread half nut. The one on mine looks new. Have you priced a new one from W.F. Wells? They say they still support saws as old as from the 40's.

The reason I've put off buying a fork truck is I want a rough terrain one. There's one nearby that I haven't talk the owner into selling yet. I'll get it some year when he's tired of storing it.

Don

you might as well all go in together and buy a semi and trailer, probably a low rider flat bed with a 100 ton winch for now untill something larger comes along....
:drink2:
steve

Took off the yellow base that someone had added and put on some wheels.

DSCF1416.jpg

I'm not going to attach the unloading table at this time maybe down the road if I add on to the shop for more space.

DSCF1416.jpg

It a bigger than I was looking for but I said the same thing when I bought my South Bend 16" x57" lathe. Paid .75 cents a pound for it.

Don't I know what that feels like----- great score

Made a new shorter unload table and put a screen over the coolant tank to keep offall from falling in.

DSCF1419.jpg

DSCF1419.jpg

Oh it's definetly a good saw. It was very noisey when I got it so I replaced the bearings in the blade wheels, and variable speed drive, adjusted the drive gear mesh and gave it a good cleaning. It runs quiet and cuts great.

Back