W F Barnes Lathe

Can you measure the swing? Should be a name plate on one of the legs.

what lenght is the bed? Can you post a picture of the apron?

I do not know how to measure swing and what is the apron ? I will get some help to attach additional photos I have on my desk top. Have faith I will get you what you want , just explain what you need for a true green horn.
Thanks
Jeff

For the swing measure from the center of the chuck or spindle to the closes edge of the bed and multiply by 2.
the apron is on the other side of the picture you posted it is attached to the cros slide that travels on the bed.

this will help wit the ID of the lathe.

Using your formula center of spindle to bed is about 6in X 2 so 12 inches . Bed length is about 51 and a quarter inches . Attached to a leg is a tag 5 stud then graphs for spindle screw thread , cast into the legs WF & I Barnes & Co , Rockford ILL USA and a number 5 . The 5 appears at the top WF & I Barnes Co toward the center and Rockford Ill at the bottom. Note the I maybe a J . On the Apron is 2 Patents the first Pat Sept 21 1880 second is Feb 15 1887.
I can not get my photos to print on this thread but can put some on my phone and maybe send them to you . Thank you for your efforts hope they help to find a home for this old lathe or the parts to repair it
Jeff

Thanks
How about some pictures of your lathe ? That link to the old ad is cool ?

Back