Voltage Problem - Lighting Circuit

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, I've got a strange one this morning. I was up in the shop attic putting some stuff away,
came back down, sipping some coffee, and one of the two (4) lamp fixtures on the ceiling went out/off.
There are two of these in the ceiling controlled by a switch over at the door.
The far one is fine, the near one is out. I removed the fixture and tested the voltage at the line.
84v is all?!? Why would it be 84v? I've attached a basic schematic and a pict.
Circuit is on a 15A breaker, and controls these two, plus (3) flouresents on a switch, and the outside LED,
all joined up at a junction box above the circuit breaker panel.
I KNEW I should have re-wire the garage when we were moving in and it was empty. This place has
been a nightmare in regards to wiring. I'll have to clear out a bunch of crap to take up the OSB I laid
down two years ago. *SIGH*
Thanks in advance as always.
Garage_Wiring_Problem_r1.jpg

Light_Fixture.jpg

Garage_Wiring_Problem.jpg

Last edited:
If this is truly the total electrical path between the lights, the only thing I can come up with is the there is a large resistance in the wiring between the two lights.
This means that a large amount of heat could be generated in the wiring either at or between the two lights. T

It's a best guess of what I remember before I laid down the OSB.
I'm going to go up in a bit and start excavating. Heart and mind are willing to do the ladder, the knees however...

SORRY MUST HAVE HIT THE WRONG KEY OR SOMETHING

This could be dangerous and a fire hazard!

I would look at the connections at each lighting fixture and assure that the wiring is secure at the connections. See if anything is hotter than it should be.
The next thing could be an almost broken wire in the system as the source of the problem. If you aren't familiar with wiring and handling this sort of thing,
Turn off the lights! Keep them off. Call an electrician.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

I killed the circuit when I read 84v on the meter.
Just went out to set up trouble/Aux lighting so I can see properly, and get this: One of the clamp lights I bought at the electrician's estate sale a week
ago shorted and popped the breaker. Figures - doesn't it. Just cut the cord off that puppy...
Treading very carefully from here on out. I think the gremlins have overridden the shop/garage.
I'm going to go out and test everything with a voltage tester shortly just to be certain.
(perhaps an all rubber suit with gloves and boots is in order... :grin:)

Most likely a bad connection at one of the lights. With the breaker off check that all the wires are securely twisted together and have a wire nut of the correct size. I suspect you will find one wire that slipped out of the wire nut and probably wasn't securely twisted together when it was installed.

Well when I stashed the unused shopvacs up in the attic I managed to set them on top of the wiring running over to the second light.
(Creeping Elegance™) And there are insulation batts throughout. A small shopvac resting on insulation, and.... Gimme a break.
And then there is the totally incorrect and messed up wiring running to the fixture.
P1080101r.jpg
--- Tape Removed (Ugh!) insulation slice on both...
P1080102r.jpg

--- Then at the 2nd Fixture. I don't even want to see what's under this tape. Taking a break from it for now to calm down.
This wiring is this house is unbelievable. Who in their right minds looks at that and says, 'That's Good.' ?
You don't splice outside a junction box! *GADS*
P1080103r.jpg

Consider replacing the wiring with either steel conduit or armored cable and outlet boxes. Glad you notice it before the building caught fire.

Back