VN Bench Piston Grinder

You lucky bastard, Joe. I'm in Rockhampton, Qld, brother in Campbells Ck. Found out last time, that the RAN 4.5" guns, were made in Bendigo.
Lovely country.
That shop, just about makes me cry with lust....!

Oh, and bloody nice grinder, Hey!. Well done mate.

After many months of inconsistent work the machine is finally moving under its own power. There is still little items to complete before spark start flying.

Nice!

Is there anything special on this machine for grinding pistons, or is it pretty much a general purpose OD grinder?

Hi Cal,

The current table is capable of pistons, valves, and anything else for different angles and tapers.

The table in the bottom left corner of the screen, underneath the rack, has a cam-action to help grind piston skirts for example. It cannot do any angles or tapers.

The machine is a general OD grinder with the option for ID grinding, yet do not have the attachments.

Little did I know the grinder project would take over a year to complete.

Today I built some splash shields to contain the coolant. Due to my shop being relatively small (10x20) I didn’t want to constantly clean up a flood. The front splash shield has been made and fastened for easy removal to gain access to the work piece. The rear shield is more permanent.

I also made a small wheel dresser that is attached to the base of the tail stock. It seemed irrational to remove the work piece just the dress the wheel.

Finally built up the courage to run everything. First dressed the wheel then placed some scrap steel I had laying around. Was able to make contact and initiate first sparks.

Why does the grinding wheel only intermittently make contact with the workpiece? I understand these machines were used to bring stock-supplied pistons to the correct size to be installed in an automobile, and also do cam-grinding on aluminum pistons, to book-supplied-specs, so the pistons would become perfectly round after reaching operating temp. Is this grinder running on the cam, and thus generating an ovoid surface on your workpiece?

I was just given a Van Norman piston grinder, which I think is a Model 76 because of the look of the base. The 101's seem to have a different base that is more modern and enclosed. I ordered a manual for the VN 101, to see if I can find out how my machine goes together and is supposed to work. I have been disassembling the machine so I can move it, and brought the first trunk-full of parts home yesterday. I will be going back there weekly on Tuesdays to take more stuff apart (into sub-assemblies I can handle) and bring it all home. I expect it will take a couple more weeks to do that.

I have not found a data plate, or serial number info so far. Now that you have showed where your serial number is, I will look at mine the next time I go to get more parts. Where it is, it is quite dim, and I have to use a headlight to do any actual work. I look at the stuff after I get it out into the light. So far condition looks really good.

BUT!

But I have been told by a couple people that this thing is just a boat anchor, and has no useful purpose. Pistons supplied today are 3-D machined in every detail, and no modern piston needs any attention from this machine. If a modern piston needs cam-grinding for proper fit at temperature, it is already machined into the piston. You just take the pistons out of the box, and put them in the engine - ready to go.

I am debating whether to clean it up, paint it and get it running, or just pile it up next to the fence until my next scrap run. My shop is too small to bring in equipment that I cannot use, no matter how nice it is.

Anyone who owns one of these who can testify to its actual usefulness, (or total LACK of usefulness!)? What can it do besides pistons? Is it good for general grinding operations?

Ship it over to @graham-xrf

John

Back