VN #12 lubrication chart

Pauldarby1

Active User
Registered
Is there such a thing? There are so many oil cups and oil holes, I wondered whether there is a chart.

regards,

Paul

Is there such a thing? There are so many oil cups and oil holes, I wondered whether there is a chart.

regards,

Paul
Hi Paul,

I'm not aware of a detailed chart that shows all of the lubrication points. I took a series of photos some time ago of all the lubrication points, apart from the cutter-head. Here's a link to the album:
Unfortunately, my camera had undergone an unscheduled drop test and the focus wasn't working correctly.

Some of the photos show excess oil seeping out after lubricating.
For example, here's a photo that shows adding oil to the saddle/knee way lube point: IMG_9251
And this one shows oil seeping out of the way: IMG_9252
In these instances you want to add oil until you just see it seeping out. If you don't see it seeping out, you probably have a plugged oil passage.

Here’s a quick index to the photos:

• IMG_9226-34 move table to right, fill bevel gear reservoir
  • IMG_9235-48 fill feed worm gear reservoir and lube front bearing
  • IMG_9249-50 lube table ways
  • IMG_9251-52 lube saddle ways
  • IMG_9253-54 lube cross-feed dial and thrust bearing
  • IMG_9256 lube cross-feed screw
  • IMG_9257-58 lube knee elevation dial
  • IMG_9259-61 lube knee elevation thrust bearing, bevel gears and screw
  • IMG_9263 lube table feed gear bearings
  • IMG_9264 lube table feed worm rear bearing and pivot
  • IMG_9265-68 lube table feed drive shaft front universal joint
  • IMG_9269 lube knee vertical ways
  • IMG_9270 lube knee elevation screw nut
  • IMG_9272-73 lube table feed drive shaft telescoping section
  • IMG_9274 lube table feed drive shaft rear universal joint
  • IMG_9275-79 lube ram feed thrust bearing, screw and nut
  • IMG_9281-84 lube ram ways
Let me know if you have questions.

Cal

Cal,
thank you so much for the link to the photo's. Are you using the same oil in all the oil cups? In the below photo, is this filling the worm casting below the worm table drive gear?
Paul

image.jpg

Cal,
thank you so much for the link to the photo's. Are you using the same oil in all the oil cups? In the below photo, is this filling the worm casting below the worm table drive gear?
Paul
Hi Paul,

Mobile Vactra #2 way oil is what we used for all of the lube points in the photos.

The photo shows oiling the front bearing for the table feed drive worm gear. There's a large, spring-loaded oil port on the front (operator's end) of the casting. I haven't looked carefully enough at how it's made to know if you can fill the reservoir that the worm runs in using that port. Excess oil from the bearings on both end probably wind up in the reservoir, but it's a good idea to start with the reservoir full. Similarly, excess oil from the table ways and gears winds up in the bevel-gear reservoir, but it's a slow process.

BTW, the photo shows a small grease gun with a flex hose on it. There's a needle tip adapter like this on the end:

Cal

Back