VN #12 horizontal arbor material?

Todd

Active User
Registered
I need to make a few arbors that hold the horizontal cutters, one 1 1/4 and a few smaller ones. I am going to make them like the few I have that are all one piece, where the keyed arbor is an extension of the collet section. the few I have seem to be 1018 going by the finish on the material. I am wondering what some of you guys have used to make these collets / arbors. I am thinking either 1144 or 12l15. I am guessing that going with anything harder like 4140 for example might not be the best material to be shoving up into the spindle, am I correct in this thought process or wrong? Thanks Todd

Okay you asked for nobody and here I am.

I have an old Brown & Sharpe horizontal with the rare old B&S #10 taper. I have been researching making some arbors since they are so hard to come by. Everything I have found seems to indicate that for us hobby machinist it does not make much difference for the light duty they are likely to see. The softer materials would work okay, machine easier but would collect dings easier also. The good stuff like 4140HT is tougher to machine and would handle rough handling better but probably is not necessary.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

ya i ended up making the arbor from 12l15 and the spacer bushings out of 4140ht. just need to cut the internal keyways on the spacers and it will be done

Back