Vise Identification help please

JDC6.14

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
I picked up a couple of vises at an auction today, and wondered if anyone could help identify one. I haven't torn it down yet, but there aren't any visible markings on it so far beside a large number 6 on the side (its a six inch vise). It could just be a no-name vise but if you have any ideas let me know. The tag says it's 73 pounds but I'm not so sure, it feels significantly lighter than a 80# quikrete bag. Or I'm stronger than I thought. The little one is a 3 or 4 inch Powr-Kraft.

vise 1.jpg

vise 2.jpg
vise 3.jpg

The big one should be a Buffalo. They were USA made back in the day but I believe they are made in Taiwan now.

Thanks NCjeeper!
I think you nailed it. It seems like it's 70s or 80s, so that lines up right.
I don't know why, but I always like to know a bit about the history of these things even if it's nothing fancy.

That is a generic Asian cast vise shaped object. Under less than gentle use, the mounting ears have been known to snap off.

Yeah it's almost certainly Asian. And it's definitely not a Wilton or Starrett, but I think "vise shaped object" might be a bit much.
Pretty much every vise in history has been cast. It's what it's cast of that matters, I'm quite sure this one is ductile iron as it should be. I would think it would take some serious abuse to snap off 3/4 inch thick ductile iron mounting tabs.
I also got a chance to weigh it, the somewhat questionable bathroom scale says its 64#.

Yeah, the smaller one says Powr-Kraft which I believe was a Montgomery-Ward brand. Haven't researched the serial number on that one yet.

You might find M-W used a US supplier re-badged for them similar to Sears.

Back