Vise for sale near me $1000

I was looking for a beefy old vice for a restoration project here recently, but the prices in my area are just stupid, and many units are beat to crap.

Gave up and bought a Harbor Freight 68# 6" Doyle, made of ductile iron, for all of $170 on coupon. It's actually quite nice.

A few years ago, walking through a flea mkt, saw a Wilton bullet vise 3 or 4 inch jaws. Didn't stop and look, but saw it appeared in good condition, with a price tag of $125. I kept walking as I had a Wilton 4 in., Columbian 4in, and a Northern Tool 6 in. multi purpose vise at home. (Now, I'm thinking I should have stopped)

Last edited:

View attachment 485914
Whada ya think, should I buy this????

John
Like new....other than the fact that jaw support ledge on the static jaw is broken off. That and it's a 4.5", not a 5" as he claims. He even crops the one closer photo to avoid showing the damage. It's not worthless, but it's worth a fraction of what one undamaged would go for. It's essentially a parts vise...so $150 or something like that. Somebody took a big hammer to something to break off the entire ledge...d'oh.

The four vises in the picture that I posted in post #8 are all 4" vises... from top to bottom, I paid $150, $100, $100, and $150...

The top one I just cleaned and painted. #2 and #3 were cleaned, painted, and fitted with new jaws. #4 was the ugliest vise I've ever seen... I think I have a build thread on it in the 'Members Projects' area of the forum.

The point I'm trying to make is that these vises can still be found reasonably priced if you have patience, look often, and... above all else... be ready to jump on it when the deal is found...

-Bear

You guys are going to have to work a lot harder to make it a "vice"....just sayin'. You know how you pay for a nice hobby machine shop? Sell 300+ vintage bench vises and 100 anvils!

fullsizeoutput_35f.jpegIMG_4025.JPG

There are some serious vise vices going on …….

that would be about 350 to 500 on a good buy around here, you have to wait to find them for that price, but they do occasionally show up.
Not really anywhere with that kind of damage. The static jaw support is broken off completely so it's really only suitable as a parts donor or very light duty.

Back