vise for a lathe

slingshot

Active User
Registered
Does any body know where the best place to buy a vise for a 12x36 lathe?

Brownell's Gunsmithing sells 3 sizes of Palmgren milling attachments. Grizzly at least used to offer a well made looking milling attachment. I haven't looked at it for some time,but I'm sure it costs less than the Palmgrens. Had plenty of metal in it too.

Depending on what you're doing you might be able to mount an angle plate on the compound if you don't need the fine adjustment. Just clamp your work to it.

Well that's what I need the vise for is to do some light milling.

Slingshot,
Can you give us an idea of what you are planning to do. It may help with suggestions for workholding and how to approach the job.

Cheers Phil

It seems that the Palmgren milling vises disappeared from the new tool catalogs about 2 years ago. There are typically a few used on eBay but I don't see any right now. I have a Palmgren 250 for my 10" Logan. It has worked ok for the few small projects that I have done (milling a "T" nut for my QCTP and milling some woodruff key slots). I'm still saving my pennies for a real mill. The used 250's typically sell in the 100-200 range, the Palmgren 400 a bit more and might be better fit for you lathe. I got mine a bit cheaper because the seller didn't know what he was selling and had it listed as a drill press vise with bad pictures :))

Back