vintage reproduction decals for power-kraft

glockster

Registered
Registered
does anyone know where to find decals for power-kraft brand products ? I'm restoring an old power-kraft wood lathe and can't find anyone carrying decals reproduction or anything. Is there even a place to start looking?

Thanks, Don

Your best bet may be in making your own. Testors makes water slide decal paper that you can purchase at most hobby shops. You will also need some spray decal bonder, a setting agent, Testors. You can create your own decals or you can use a photo to make one if you wish, it can be simply through the use of your printer and the aforementioned paper.

Making your own decals may not be too bad, but you might need to find a lathe with decals in excellent condition to begin with. You could photograph them and then create your decals from the photos in whatever size you wish.

Waterslide paper is also available at some office supply stores like Staples.

"Billy G"

I didn't know that you could make your own decals at home ....Never thought of it, how cool is the internet Thanks and Regards Rafe

Thank you for your replys, never thought of making my own. I only need time and skill both of which I am having a shortage of at the moment. I think I can find some photos of the decals I want on the internet and there is a good model shop in town so it might just be doable. again thank you for your time.

Don

No problem!! Helping others is what this place is all about!

So, are you gonna share a write up with us on your rebuild project, especially the decal part?? We really like pictures, too. So don't be afraid to share what you dare! (hint, hint) :lmao:

I might of found a source for the decals, I called a friend of mine who owns a traffic control sign and graffics type business. He told me that he has a girl in the graffics dept that can possibly scan a picture of the decals I need and reproduce them for me in sticker form. So now all I need to do is find pictures of them and get them to her, what a boon if it all works out. The project is coming along nicely, I should be able to finish the assembly in the next few days as the paint dries. As far as posting pictures my daugter should be coming home from college in a couple of weeks for a visit and will be able to lead me in the right direction, my chidren refer to me as " The techtard ". So maybe I can post some pictures of the finished product.

Don

Find a decal on a machine, that is in EXCELLENT condition, or find one on the net. Either way, take a photograph of it (or copy and paste off the net), tweak it in Photoshop, or similar, and print it off in full colour, maybe a few copies, on real glossy paper.

Buy some clear spray paint lacquer. Repeatedly spray the face of the photo's with the lacquer, over a couple of days, so they are real glossy.

Soak the photo's in warm water, with a little soap for a little while, and the paper will eventually peel off the back, leaving just your lacquer, and the coloured prints.

Buy some white enamel spray paint. Paint the REAR of the now almost translucent pictures with a few coats of white, to give the background some solid detail, let dry.

Using scissors, or a knife, cut out what you want, and discard the rest.

Using your clear lacquer, spray the REAR of your photo, and place it on the machine, smoothing it out VERY gently. Spray a bit more all over once in place, to feather the photo edges to the machine.

Did this a few years ago using a picture in a magazine, and placing it on my tank. Yes, it DID fade, but it was heaps cool. This was a method of detailing cars and bikes before Air brushing came into vogue with good artists for hire.

Cheers

Ian

I am no expert with computers,but you can just buy decal paper and print your decals on it. It is about $1.00 a sheet. You can even get it at Staples. Run it through an inkjet printer to make your decals.

P.S.: I see all this has already been mentioned!!

Last edited:
Back