[Newbie] VFD vs New Motor...110 vs 220 input

VFD is controlled through programmable low voltage inputs, it is not designed to be a 3 phase source other than a direct connect to the motor. If you want 3 phase power to work with the stock controls, most people go with an RPC. The programmable inputs operate the run commands for forward-reverse-stop depending on how they are connected. In addition you might want a jog either forward or reverse, and different braking rates, there are a number of options.

On the run command, there is 2 wire control and 3 wire control, so 2 or 3 inputs are used. Doesn't leave much if you want other VFD functions. Running the VFD from the VFD controls directly is cumbersome and dangerous. Example below are the assigned inputs for a different VFD, the Galt does not offer this type of 3 wire control.

Attachments

• Folinn BD60 VFD Wiring Diagram for 3 wire control (1), E-Stop safety Switch, 1 or 2-stage Brak...pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 8
I have a Clausing 8520 with a 3 phase, 3/4hp Baldor inverter motor made to run with a VFD. I went with a 1.5hp VFD mostly to leave me room to go larger if I ever wanted to, although I probably won't. I am not super comfortable with electrical work but while wiring the VFD seems challenging with the help of several members here it wasn't that bad. I am currently running the mill off the VFD controls but one of these days I will get around to wiring the original 3 way switch to the VFD.

VFD or buying a single phase motor are probably a similar cost, and VFD can provide some benefits. Also consider the age and condition of the motor, no reason to replace a perfectly good motor, but if you have concerns with it, that could be a factor.

When I wired my shop I ran 4 wire everywhere. Red - hot, Black - hot, White - neutral, and Green - ground. When I have needed to add an extra 110v or 220v plug I didn't have to run any new wire.

A VFD will be more complex to wire than replacing the motor but will give you a lot of nice features. With a 1 ph motor you will probably loose reversing capability if you have it.

What features would the VFD offer?
Any VFD in particular y'all recommend for this set up?

A VFD connected to a 3 phase motor offers the following:
Forward/reverse motor operation (can use the original for/stop/rev switch on the tool by wiring it to control inputs on the VFD)
Variable speed (can mount a speed control pot on the tool)
Speed ramp-up and/or ramp-down can be set up in the VFD software
Relatively rapid stop can be programmed if you add a braking resistor*

* I've set my VFD up for a ½ second stop. That's less than one turn at 100 RPM. By adding a microswitch to my carriage stop, I can get the lathe up to stop very consistently - something like ±10º at my 100 RPM test speed - useful when threading to a shoulder. See post #30 at:

You may eventually find that your 12x36 is a bit under-powered with a 3/4HP motor. If you were to go with a 2HP VFD, you could later upgrade to a larger motor. I have a 2HP setup on my 12x24. My VFD is a Teco, 230 volts input.

Not a bad idea to get a 2HP setup.
Looking at this one

I want to use the factory Forward-Off-Reverse switch and also to add a potentiometer to fine tune the speed in different gears.

Back