VFD Questions

Beef

Registered
Registered
Looking to put a VFD on a South Bend lathe. 1 HP 3 phase motor, 1725 RPM, 230/460 Volts, 4.1/2.03 AMPS, S.F. 1.15
Will be running 230 single phase in. With that said will a 2.2 KW VFD work ? This whole VFD thing is over my head.
Thanks

2.2KW corresponds to a 3HP motor, so it is oversized but that generally will work. You will need to be sure the vfd 220V single phase in, and 220 ( 3 phase) out. 220, 230, and 240V are all close enough to be considered the same.

A vfd needs to be directly wired to the motor, not through any switches, contactors or other intermediate devices. Ideally with fairly short wiring. You’ll want to run some control switches to the vfd, although it is possible to just use the vfd front panel. You will need to configure (program) the vfd.

Several folks here are very experienced with vfd setups and may add more.

That's what I'm running on my South Bend, a Chinese Isacon 2.2kW. Mike is running a 1.5kW on a similar powered lathe.

It should work. There are people here that have a lot more experience with them than I do. I used one on my surface grinder and it worked just fine. On the lathe you probably want to be able to have a braking resistor to slow down the spindle. I would think that most vfd would work.

I purchased a braking resistor to use on my lathe. I figured it would be a good ting to be able to stop quickly while threading. In hooking it up I learned a few things. First, sudden braking of an older South Bend spindle will likely result in the de-screwing of the chuck. This often leads to poor results. The second thing I learned is the smaller Isacon's do not have the posts to connect the resistor, so it's all a moot point.

The VFD install on my SouthBend 13" lathe was the most complex VFD install I have done. This was due to wanting to support Fwd, Rev, braking and jogging as well as adding a tachometer to the lathe head so I know what the actual RPM's are. You don't have to go all out on a lathe VFD install like many do but it is a slippery slope once you look at the possibilities.

For a 3hp VFD running a 1hp motor the VFD will come preconfigured for the current draw of a 3hp motor. If you want the VFD to provide overload protection for your lathe motor you will need to lower the values for the max current in the VFD configuration to match your 1hp motor.

At the EBay-esque Isacon / Askpower level, the VFD comes preconfigured for a 400hz mini-cnc spindle. This is no matter if it is a 0.75 or a 7.5 Kw unit. Step one on these units is to set Pn32 = 6 to change it to the default 50hz settings and then tune from there.

Back