VFD question

cgcwmec627

Registered
Registered
My Burke millrite mill machine has two 3 phase motors,one for the mill head drive and another for the quill drive.
The more I use VFD on my other machines the more i like them.
My question is this,I want to put a VFD on my Burke and I assume that I would need two,one for the head and another for the quill.Is that correct?
I am not an electrician,so I could use some experienced advice.

Attachments

• 20231122_094440.jpg
    20231122_094440.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 13
The way I understand it is that you can but since the VFD needs to be setup for a motor both motors would need to have the same specs.

No, One VFD attached to your input power terminals is good, as long as it is rated for to exceed the requirements of the largest motor. You can run many different sized motors of a VFD as long as you don't exceed the rated amperage.
There is one issue that will appear. If you vary the cycles per second from 60 for control of cutting speeds, you will have mag switches dropping out. The control transformer off one leg of the 3 phase is used to knock down the voltage from 208 to 110 for the mag switches. Transformers need 60 cycles and so do the power feed motors for the table.
What I did for one I converted, was I disconnected the high side of the xformer and fed it single phase 220 volts from the VFD supply and then all was happy. If you machine does not use a transformer and instead uses 110 throughout, the same applies. You need separate unvaried cycles to feed the control relays and the feed motors. This is not hard to do, if you can wire in a VFD, you can easily isolate the control voltage as stated above

You cannot use a VFD as a machine power source for multiple drives in most cases if the output of the VFD is on and the motors are switched on/off either by a mechanical switch or a contactor between the VFD output and the motor. If you were to use a VFD as such, it typically needs to be oversized by a factor of 4-5X the maximum of the machine current, it needs to operated in straight V/Hz mode (not vector/feedback mode) and typically in fixed frequency of 60Hz. Also, transformers and other control systems are not designed to run off of PWM 3 phase. You can have multiple motors that are directly wired to the VFD run off of a single VFD, but must be in V/Hz mode and you give up individual motor protection/overload control when the output current is not single motor specific or you need specific overload device for each motor. The motor performance in straight V/Hz is poorer in particular at below 50% of the motor base frequency.

At the cost of VFD's these days, it is far easier and more cost effective to buy two smaller VFD's then one larger one. These days I typically recommend the Automation Direct VFD drives so something like a 2 Hp GS21 drive will run around $200, a smaller drive around $150. There is also the WEG Electric CFW100 series if all the drives are 1 Hp or less, these are simple DIN mount mico VFD drives, they also have a larger Hp series. Using multiple VFD, each drive can be programmed for the particular motor and the operating controls. There are also less expensive dives, they tend to have poorer manuals and more operating issues, as well as no technical support or poor warranty.

If you had two motor drives that operated separately and only one at a time, then some of the VFD's have the ability to program two separate sets of motor parameters and switch between them with a programmed input, and you also need a mechanical switch to switch the VFD output. I have done this with dual motors machines, as well as dual speed motors, but it can get complicated and the results were not always satisfactory. The other option is an RPC, static converter, or digital phase converter such as a Phase Perfect. The Phase Perfect has a new lower cost line, which are competitively priced and run about the same as a factory RPC of the same Hp rating. If you had multiple 3 phase machines that you wanted to operate at a fixed 60Hz 3 phase power then the Phase Perfect is reasonable and simple alternative. But on a smaller Hp scale, I find multiple VFD to be a better solution.

Mark is correct, opening a motor circuit with VFD on can damage the output stage. Best to have separate VFDs for each motor
Or rotary phase converter, or even just a static converter for the feed if the feed would operate on 2/3 power satisfactorily

Two VFD's sounds better than any other option.
I already bought one that is rated much higher than the head drive so another for the lower power quill drive will not be too hard to get.This sounds like a solution with the least potential for issues.
Thanks for your input.

All VFDs have a 24 volt ac control buss, this is to attach a pot for dialing up speed and most importantly, for shutting off the motor. It will cause failure eventually if the motor is switched on/off at the 3 phase side as mentioned above.

Back