VFD installation

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I will need some advice putting my VFD in (once I get one) but for now I need help choosing one.

I have a small Hardinge turret lathe with a GE 3-phase motor in it. Everything works as the previous owner had a 3 phase converter and demonstrated it. I tried to get a picture of the label on the motor so I could just post it, but I couldn't get in there to get a good shot. Here's a label I found online that is for the same model motor. I confirmed that the info on it is the same as mine.

Question is, how much of this info is needed to match against the VFD?

motor.jpg

I found a TECO for a good price with the following specs

TECO FM50 AC Drive, 1 HP, 115V 1 PH Input, 230V 3 PH Output, 4.2FLA, IP20

• 100-120VAC 1 PH, 50/60Hz (Voltage +10% to -15%, Frequency ±5%) Input
  • 0-230V, 3 PH Output
  • 1 Analog Input (0-10V, 4-20mA, 0-20mA)
  • 2 Programmable Multi-function Inputs
  • 2 Operation Control Inputs (FWD/REV)
  • 1 Analog Output (0-10VDC)
  • 1 Multi-function Output Relay
  • 3 digit, 7 segment LED display
  • 150% rated current for 1 minute
  • 200% instantaneous overcurrent
  • Electronic overload protection and stall prevention
  • Ground fault and short circuit protection
  • UL 508 / cUL / CE

Good match? If so, based on what info in-case this one doesn't work out so I know what to look for in another one.

Thanks!

motor.jpg

You only need to know the horsepower rating to buy the VFD. The one you chose is perfect is you only have 120v available. There are more choices if you have 240v available.

You only need to know the horsepower rating to buy the VFD. The one you chose is perfect is you only have 120v available. There are more choices if you have 240v available.

I do have 240, but the one I found for cheap was this one.

Thanks for the response.

I do have 240, but the one I found for cheap was this one.

Thanks for the response.

If the 240 is not a lot of extra cash I would recommend you go for it simply to lower the amperage draw ... especially on start up.

That will work but you would get better low speed performance with a "sensorless vector" drive like the Teco Model JNEV-101-H1 (also 110V in 4.2 FLA like the FM50). The JNEV will also do 3 wire control out of the box (if you care about that) and has a built-in potentiometer for speed control. If you go to 220V in you can go to the Teco N3 or 7300 but that might be overkill and more $$.

There is also a JNEV-201-H1 with 220V in rather than 110V if you prefer that.

Thanks for the responses. The deal didn't work out with the cheap one. I am considering the 220v version now.

I was going to ask the question about amp draw eventually. I have a motor on my mill/drill that can be wired either way. Right now it's wired for 110 but I noticed the label showed that 220 had a draw of almost half the amps. Seems like the way to go to save on some power, but how does it use half the amps? Seems like it would use double.

Thanks for the responses. The deal didn't work out with the cheap one. I am considering the 220v version now.

I was going to ask the question about amp draw eventually. I have a motor on my mill/drill that can be wired either way. Right now it's wired for 110 but I noticed the label showed that 220 had a draw of almost half the amps. Seems like the way to go to save on some power, but how does it use half the amps? Seems like it would use double.

As voltage goes up amperage decreases. As per ohms law I = E/R

Bob

As voltage goes up amperage decreases. As per ohms law I = E/R

Bob

That's funny, I actually knew that but never put it together :whistle:.

It's funny the stuff you forget you knew over the years.

If by "save the power" you meant save you money, then it won't. You are billed for watts, not amps.

That will work but you would get better low speed performance with a "sensorless vector" drive like the Teco Model JNEV-101-H1 (also 110V in 4.2 FLA like the FM50). The JNEV will also do 3 wire control out of the box (if you care about that) and has a built-in potentiometer for speed control. If you go to 220V in you can go to the Teco N3 or 7300 but that might be overkill and more $$.

There is also a JNEV-201-H1 with 220V in rather than 110V if you prefer that.
JNEV 201 H1
try dealers direct for a good price on this teco. I think it was abt $135. Thats a price to jump on. You would probably need to also. I don't think they constantly stock anything. Sorry, dealerselectric.com

Back