Vertical Milling Machine Questions

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at a few Bridgeport style machines. What is it that I should be looking for? or Not. Here is a
J-Head Milling Machine J-83018. Looks to be in good condition, priced right I think $1800 but that low might be something bad not sure. So asking all of you whats your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on where your at for pricing. I picked up an identical mill with a power feed for $1300. I rebuilt it, found a few things that needed repaired, but it's worked out for me.

The main thing I would look for is wear in the ways. For me that would be a deal breaker.

Run any machine through ALL its paces before buying it, or you are taking a big chance. You cannot know what might be wrong with a machine without running it. Could have a bad motor, noisy spindle bearings, feeds that don't work, coolant pump not operational, or all of the above and more. Ideally you want to cut metal with it before buying. Anything you cannot make to work properly must be assumed to be nonfunctional.

When I am looking at a machine that cannot be run through its paces, I have to assume the worst case scenario, that nothing works. In that case, for me, it is the same as scrap iron, a collection of parts that only LOOKS like a machine, and scrap iron is worth about $100 a TON. If you have to move it to even find out if it works, you will have much time, effort, and money invested by the time you call the scrapper to come pick it up. That is indeed a negative approach, but people do try to unload their trash on unsuspecting and hopeful, trusting buyers. Private cash sales are always assumed to be without warranty, even if one is offered. Once you transfer the cash to the buyer, it is yours, treasure or trash.

I will tell the seller all of the above and use it for setting a price point if I have any interest at all in the machine. Generally I do not want to even get involved with anything I cannot test drive.

The spindle of a milling machine is easily tested for runout and looseness with an indicator. Runout should be not more than .0005".

Thanks guys. This is just one of the many I'm currently looking at. How is to get parts for Bridgeports?

Thanks guys. This is just one of the many I'm currently looking at. How is to get parts for Bridgeports?

Parts for BP are pretty available. Ebay is a good source. Hardinge sells BP parts also, not cheap, but they stock pretty much everything.

Bridgeport and clone parts are not necessarily interchangeable, even among the various clones. Some do, some don't.

The price also depends on how badly the seller wants to get rid of it. People who are moving and cannot take the machine with them or liquidating an estate and need to have the place cleared out, are good prospects for getting a great deal. Don't be afraid to make a low offer, you can always increase it if they turn it down.

I agree with the others on checking the machine out as best a s possable but when buying used you are always taking some chance.

Also consider included tooling which can sometimes be worth more than the machine. Don't be afraid to ask that certain items be included to sweeten the deal or removed to lower the price if you don't need them.. And unless the deal is a real steal, don't buy on the first visit.

Just like to add that there are many bp available with plenty of life left in them chromed ways r good and if u inspect the ways u should be able to c the scraping marks clearly . A machine that lived in a production environment doing one task over and over may show a lot of wear in one area of the way and be looser as the table or saddle passes over that area.

Back