1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Vertical attachment for Burke #4

Discussion in 'BURKE-US MACHINE TOOL & BARKER MACHINES' started by dgehricke, Apr 6, 2017.

1. dgehricke

dgehricke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any experience with the Vertical attachment and disassembly and changing the bronze gear ? I ask because I have never taken this apart and I believe it is turning in the wrong direction, any inside info (pun intended) on its workings would be appreciated.
    dgehricke

2. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Why do you think it is turning in the wrong direction? I answered you on the yahoo group too. You can mount the vertical attachment from either side I just happen to have mine mounted to the right of the drive spindle and overarm, I do this because I am right handed and it just feels right for mr to turn the handles with my right hand. But it could be flipped and that would also make it easier to read the degree marks on the attachment.

3. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Hi Greg,
    Thanks for taking the time, I installed a cutter in the vertical attachment and when I tried to use it it would not cut,on closer inspection it looked like the cutter was turning in the wrong direction.
    I was thinking that possibly the bronze gear was in the head backwards or reversed for some reason, but I'm not sure I've never had it apart. I just filled it with grease and I dread taking it apart and cleaning out the grease only to find
    that its not possible for the gear to be turned.I have had this head for years but never really used it and its also getting heavier every year I get older. I store it upside down on the overarm so I don't have to be fighting the
    overarm and the vertical attachment and the eccentric bushing at the same time. Its one of those attachments that are best left attached and in place. I keep mine mounted on the right side also for the same reasons.
    I almost always work with the Burke in the horizontal BUT I have a small blemish or blowout on the table and I was going to repair it yesterday that is when I discovered the problem.I was going to use the attachment too cut out the
    spot that needed a new piece of cast iron inserted.
    I have all the literature and info on the Burke but there is nothing about the workings of the vertical attachment. Any help or additional info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wally G
    dgehricke

4. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Well that's a weird one, I don't think the gears can be put in backwards. I think what I might do is shoot a short video of mine running and then we can compare if the main arbor is turning the same direction. Does your mil have forward and reverse? Mine is wired for forward only.

5. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    Mine is also wire for one direction only I even installed a Dayton drum but no luck with that to date. I have been working on it all morning while my motor is CCW rotation the table travels to the left and the vertical attachment turns CCW as well. I'm about to eat a small lunch and then change the motor rotation in the stuffing box and I'll note the direction of the table and the vertical attachment.
    I also was going to make a small video of this and post it,I want every one else to be as confused as I am. I will make the video and post it later this afternoon.I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Regards
    Wally G

6. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I turned mine on and checked the rotation of the main horizontal spindle arbor. It turns ccw.

7. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    That means that your vertical attachment will turn CCW as well.
    I just finished with mine and it does indeed turn CCW and after I switched the leads in the motor to run CW rotation the Vertical attachment also runs in the same direction as the motor rotation.I will look into setting up a micro switch and the possibility of changing rotation. I did make a short video but I have to check and see how to transfer them to my Mac and what software I need then I will post them.
    Greg Thanks again for the assist.
    Regards
    Wally G
    dgehricke

8. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    Here goes nothing I will attempt to upload 2 short videos no luck I keep getting Security Error thes may be to large and it may need some compression software I'll try VLC and see if that works.
    dgehricke

9. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I think we have to make a youtube video and then post the link here. That's how I have done mine anyway. And I honestly didn't pay attention to what way the vert attachment was turning, I guess I should have paid attention to that. I do know I have never had a problem running an end mill in it.

10. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

This is my last attempt with posting the video then I'll go to youtube.So I'm still having the security error problem so I put it on youtube he's the link
    < >
    dgehricke

11. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

When i get home from work today I'll shoot some vid and post it for you to compare. I dig the adjustable table on yours. I have the power fees for mine but I have not hooked it up, for what I do on this mill I don't need it. I have a bigger Powermatic/Burke knee mill that i am restoring for the bigger stuff. I do like these little burkes, they actually are a serious machine for their size.

12. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    I'm about to post another video and this one is the motor running CCW and the VA is turning CW this was after I turned the head around so I had the room for repairs
    at the gear box end of table heres the video < > and a few photos attached.I also had to switch the wiring each time I reversed the rotation.
    If I can possibly seat up a micro switch and mount it on the cover for the stuffing box for easy switching I'm game,any ideas ?
    You really should set up your table with the auto feed better surface finish and your arm won't get tired. My little Burke is a power house I have used a 3" slab cutter
    and removed 1/8" of CRS in a single pass,that was when I first got it, now I know better.
    Thanks again
    Regards
    dgehricke

Attached Files:

13. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

That looks right to me now. I don't really do anything heavy on my Burke and I haven't ever really wished for the power feed or said gee I should hook it up. In fact I'm looking for a handle that I can mount to the right side of the mill. I have the mill in the pics below for heavier cuts, I'll put a power feed on it.
    Here's the short vid of mine running, yours is running the same.

This was the day I purchased it in the shop I purchased it from.
    I have all the handles for it. It's R8
    7-21-16 phone pics 045.jpg
    Loaded on my work truck to tak back to the company I work for shop. I just used a crane to unload it, lol.
    7-21-16 phone pics 055.jpg

14. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Greg,
    Nice looking Powermatic you have there. What machine needs a handle for the righthand end the Burke #4 if so I have them,let me know.
    Regards
    dgehricke

15. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Thanks, I plan to do a restore on the Powermatic. I recently took it all apart and got it in the basement. Did you get your no.4 all sorted out? It looks like you did.
    The handle I am looking for is for the right side of the table of the Burke no. 4

16. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Greg, I have an extra handle your more then welcome to it, How are you going to change the lead screw ? My Burke si sorted out I thought I posted this but I may have closed the window and forgot to post it. The head will work fine on the RIGHT side of the over arm as your standing in front of the machine. So far as I know if the head is turned or shifted to the left side of the overarm it changes direction to CCW rotation, so if we were thinking the head can be switched from right to left it can't be done switching the head involves removing the shaft and turn it end for end and then the HEAD will have CCW rotation which will not work to good with end mills.nI hope any one that reads this understands it.
    heres acouple of photos of the handle all those pit marks add character and helps remove callus during long machining secessions.
    Let me know if you want it and send me an address all I ask is pay the postage.
    Regards
    Wally G.
    dgehricke

Attached Files:

17. woodtickgreg

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Wally, that's a very generous offer, but I don't know if I can revive that one. A little pitting I could sand out, but that one is pretty severe, lol.
    Thank you!
    Greg

18. dgehricke

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Yea but the price is right.There always a little devcon and sand it.
    regards
    dgehricke

rrjohnso2000 likes this.