Vertex 6" Rotary Table Scale

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Vertex 6" rotary table which I'm not 100% certain on how the scale works. See pics below.

The 0 degree mark on the table matches the 0 on the dial. Same with the 1, 2, 3 degree marks which makes sense since the gear ratio is 90:1.

There are 30 lines between each degree on the dial implying that each line is 2 minutes. The vernier has 3 lines. So, does this mean that each of the vernier lines is 2/3 minute or 40 seconds? If so, this is very confusing.

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

I believe that each succeeding matching line on the Vernier would be 20 seconds. That's if I remember right from shop math 55 years ago!:)
Aaron

The Vertex is one of many Asian knock-offs. I believe the 90:1 spec is wrong and it is actually 72:1.

If it is any consolation, yesterday I received an 8" Vevor (their 6" is scaled as yours, looks exactly like yours, and is 72:1) and when the worm is engaged it takes a man and a boy to turn the wheel. Now the fight begins. Do you think they want to pay freight back East?

But we keep buying the crap...

John

The Vertex is one of many Asian knock-offs. I believe the 90:1 spec is wrong and it is actually 72:1.

If it is any consolation, yesterday I received an 8" Vevor (their 6" is scaled as yours, looks exactly like yours, and is 72:1) and when the worm is engaged it takes a man and a boy to turn the wheel. Now the fight begins. Do you think they want to pay freight back East?

But we keep buying the crap...

John
My Vertex HV-6" is smooth working. 1 turn of my RT handle moves the table 4 degrees. I just checked it. My Vertex is well made and machined. If it matters, Vertex is manufactured in Taiwan. Penn Tools has a link to Vertex Machinery. https://www.penntoolco.com/vertex-machinery-and-tools/ Penn Tools seems to think they are pretty decent.

Yours may need adjustment, cleaning and disassembly or replacement. Vevor is not exactly known as a top quality supplier. I know, I have a Vevor piece of equipment. Mine has every possible cost reduction possible in it. It works, but is not refined or smooth in any way.

Last edited:
This RT is 90:1 since it moves 4 degree/dial revolution. The 3 lines on the vernier implies 20 seconds per line. However, the main dial has only 30 lines per degree implying 2 minutes per line.

The Penn Tool link @WobblyHand provided does show 40 second accuracy.

My only confusion is that there are 2 minute lines on the dial making adjustment difficult.

Yes, you'll have to use the vernier for anything that falls between the 2-minute divisions.

I think these minute angle measurements are out of the scope of all but the most acuate machinery. One minute of angle at 100 yards is only 1.05 inches. Do the math for shorter distances. One minute of angle at 1 foot is .0035 inches. One second is .0000583 inches. Rocket science!

You have two minutes on your venier, plus one and minus one, that gives you your adjustment in between the two minute lines on the dial. If you wanted 1 degree and 1 minute, you could do it two ways, adjust to the 1 on the dial and then turn until the 60 on the venier lines up with a dial line in the positive direction. Or, go to 1 degree 2 minutes and turn the dial in the negative direction until the 60 minute line lines up with a dial line.

The same would be if you wanted 1 degree 1 minute and 20 seconds, you would go to 1 degree 2 minutes, and then go a negative 40 seconds to give you your desired position.

My Vertex HV-6" is smooth working. 1 turn of my RT handle moves the table 4 degrees. I just checked it. My Vertex is well made and machined. If it matters, Vertex is manufactured in Taiwan. Penn Tools has a link to Vertex Machinery. https://www.penntoolco.com/vertex-machinery-and-tools/ Penn Tools seems to think they are pretty decent.

Yours may need adjustment, cleaning and disassembly or replacement. Vevor is not exactly known as a top quality supplier. I know, I have a Vevor piece of equipment. Mine has every possible cost reduction possible in it. It works, but is not refined or smooth in any way.
I have a 10" Vertex and am Very satisfied with it. Whats the option????????

Back